Menu

Great Wolf Lodge with 12yr old.. Is it worth is?

PrincessMommy

my youngest son is off school all next week and we're thinking of doing 2 days 1 night at GWL or some other similar resort.  We live within 3 hrs of the Williamsburg, VA and 4-5hrs from the Pocono's GWL.   I looked also at Massenutten (much more $$$) and the indoor water park is closed the exact days we're thinking of going.  It would be snow tubing and boarding instead for the guys (I hate skiiing)  I can't switch days because of watching my grandson. 

Anyway, is it worth it for a 12yr old who will be coming without siblings or friends?

Personally, I think GWL is overpriced and crowded, plus Masanutten is in a much prettier location, so I'd choose snowboarding and tubing any day. 

As far as whether a 12 year old would enjoy the GWL waterpark alone (and I've only been to Williamsburg), it just depends on your kid. The slides are definitely big enough to be exciting and the wave thing is cool. It just depends on how he usually does by himself. I don't think my girls would want to do two whole days of that water park though. They'd probably rather site see in Williamsburg and spend an afternoon at the water park.

FWIW

My son would go alone.  He likes a few of the big rides and does them over and over and over.  He would prefer someone to go with, but if he's there....he will make the most of it.  Even his sister goes off to do her own thing.  I just sit in the middle of the whole thing relaxing while they climb all those stairs.  Or I enjoy the hot tub.  Mom enjoys GWL  :thumbup1:

I wanted to update.   We've booked a room at Massanutten.   I was able to find a specials package that included hotel plus 2 passes to the waterpark for $120.  It wasn't nearly as expensive as I thought since w'ere going mid-week and only one night.  Loads cheaper than GWL... plus they have night snow tubing that we're hoping to do the night we arrive.