Menu

"sleeve" weight loss surgery---any experiences--good or bad?

Ottakee

Dh went to see the endocrinologist today.  THey mentioned having him consider the new Sleeve weight loss surgery.  They claim it was almost side effect free with none of the terrible stuff you heard from earlier forms of stomach stapling and other weight loss surgeries.

We would like personal experiences though.  People we know it is about 50/50 pro and con for any surgery---but we don't know who had exactly which form, etc.  Some look great and love the results while others look terrible and wish they would have never done it.

Dh is almost 300 pounds and carries most of it in his mid section.  He is Native American.  On his current meds his A1C is down to 7.1 and heading down.  His blood pressure is normal (again with meds).  Outside of our terrible winter he is usually outside and quite active---biking, walking, basketball, playing with the kids, lifting weights, etc.

We would love any stories--the good and the bad as he is starting to consider it but not sure it is worth the risks.

There are two bariatric surgeries I would recommend, the sleeve gastrectomy and the duodenal switch.  Lap-Band has proven ineffective long-term and has way too many revisions. (I know, I had it done the day after FDA approval).  RNY has a lot of revisions, and it's not an easy revision.  

Sleeve is good because it preserves the pyloric valve, which means usually dumping is not an issue.  Ghrelin production is reduced the first year at least, which means less hunger.  Basically, if you follow a protein first, followed by non-starchy veg and fruit, then carbs type approach your DH should lose weight.  Long-term 5 year results seem to show about a 50% EWL, which is good…but I am seeing more revisions of sleevesters.  Thing is, it's a far easier operation to revise to a DS if needed.  

Carbs are still easy to overeat.  Diabetes resolution will last while weight loss lasts, but if your DH starts to regain, his diabetes will come back.  (Duodenal switch has more of a cure involved with the intestinal rerouting.)

Your DH still needs to watch vitamin D, b12, calcium, and magnesium.  If his doctor does not recommend supplements, he needs to.

ObesityHelp's sleeve gastrectomy boards are good, but remember 99% of the posters are still in their honeymoon phase.  People who are 3+ years out don't post anymore, either because they've moved on…or they're ashamed of weight regain.

Also check out the revision boards on OH.

I strongly advise your husband to consult with a surgeon who does both the duodenal switch and the sleeve gastrectomy.  Most surgeons only do sleeve, lap, and RNY.  Let somebody who does them all, and has no reason to recommend one over the other, make a recommendation.

.  Basically, if you follow a protein first, followed by non-starchy veg and fruit, then carbs type approach your DH should lose weight.

OK, but if he would follow a diet like that closely without the surgery isn't it likely to help without the risks?  I am thinking of having him do Weight Watchers with me.  I am doing the OLD system of points but have lost 1/2-1 pound a week without a lot of fuss.  I know it allows a lot of "junk" foods but I could focus more on the good proteins, healthy carbs, etc. while still allowing him small amounts of his favorites.

Other than his weight his cholesterol is great, other labs are all normal ranges--liver, kidneys, etc, and he is very rarely sick.  I am just not sure the risks of the surgery are worth it long term when so many people gain back the weight 3-5 years later.

DH had the sleeve done 2 years ago.  It was worth it.  He had been on so many diets before this without success.  He lost 80lbs from the sleeve.  He does not have any issues with it and has not gained the weight back.  He needs over 100 grams of protein a day to keep him full and happy.  He does take the kids vitamins daily.  We also follow a high good fat low carb diet.  PM me with any questions.

Our surgeon had him prove that he was willing to follow what was needed before he would do the surgery.  DH had to wait six months before he would do it.

.  Basically, if you follow a protein first, followed by non-starchy veg and fruit, then carbs type approach your DH should lose weight.

OK, but if he would follow a diet like that closely without the surgery isn't it likely to help without the risks?  I am thinking of having him do Weight Watchers with me.  I am doing the OLD system of points but have lost 1/2-1 pound a week without a lot of fuss.  I know it allows a lot of "junk" foods but I could focus more on the good proteins, healthy carbs, etc. while still allowing him small amounts of his favorites.

Other than his weight his cholesterol is great, other labs are all normal ranges--liver, kidneys, etc, and he is very rarely sick.  I am just not sure the risks of the surgery are worth it long term when so many people gain back the weight 3-5 years later.

The thing is that for morbidly obese folks, diets usually don't work long-term.  The sleeve helps because it reduces your stomach by 90% or so…takes off the stretch bit…so you actually feel full sooner.  A lot of times, people with a sleeve will find that they can finally stick to their WW points, because they finally feel full.  

Weight loss surgery is his best chance to keep off a significant amount of weight long term. I'm don't mean 100% of his excess weight, but more like 50%.  Drugs are considered a success if they can keep off 10% of excess weight for 6 months.  Diets for the vast majority don't even come close to meds.  When you weigh 300 pounds, losing 20-30 pounds is nice, but you're still obese.  

He needs to make that decision.  The duodenal switch requires more adherence to protein supplementation and vitamin supplements than a sleeve, but has 20 year data on keeping the weight off and diabetes resolution.

Ottakee, realistically, is he *going* to follow a diet to the degree necessary to make it down to a goal weight AND maintain it?  

I am in the process of getting the sleeve (I guess this is my coming out moment).  Fact is, it has been 20 years (I gained 70 pounds in 2 months time then slowly added another 30).  I have done how many diets?  How many times have I tried just to fail again and again.  Never do I make it down to a GOOD weight and never can I maintain it AT ALL.  The sleeve is a TOOL.  You still have to do all the work (eat right and exercise).

IF you are on Facebook, try https://www.facebook.com/groups/GastricSleeveSupport/

Pamela, no matter what your surgeon recommends, please get blood work done at 6 months and yearly intervals.  I had very low D and elevated PTH at my 6 month post-op…(I'm now almost 6 years out)… and it's continued to be an issue…even with supplementation.  Had I waited to address that until my one year anniversary, I could have already bone loss issues.  

Well, dietary change and weight loss will have a huge effect on his numbers and are a component of weight loss surgery. The surgery might give a jump start, but in the end it's still going to be about what he eats - balancing calorie intake with calorie expenditure.

So, that being said, I'd suggest something like MyFitnessPal to start which is free both for the website and the app (although WW is certainly an option, too). It doesn't have to be an all or nothing proposition and there is a subsection of MyFitnessPal that both uses the site and elected to get the gastric sleeve. If you search the MyFitnessPal forums/groups you can find folks there. I'd also suggest the spreadsheet in the EatMore2WeighLess group which will help determine a reasonable deficit and still fuel his daily activity, especially when he's most active.

Weight loss whichever way you approach does have a mental component, so establishing some of those practices/routines will help him be more successful regardless of the route he chooses.