Menu

Wonderbag Slow Cooker

Mom in High Heels

Has anyone heard of the Wonderbag?  It's a puffy slow cooker thing (that's very descriptive, isn't it?), that uses no electricity.  I think they're very interesting.  Here is the story on their invention, and here is the link to actually buy one (and read reviews, which are mostly positive).

They are also giving one to an African family, for everyone purchases.  Here's a blurb:  

• For every Wonderbag purchased in the US, one is donated to a family in need in Africa; Families in developing countries who use Wonderbags save up to 30% of their income otherwise spent on fuel for wood stoves.

Thoughts?  Anyone own one?

Well, here ya go:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/494094-wonderbag/?hl=%2Bwonderbag&do=findComment&comment=5298952

It isn't stupid for those without electricity.

I just looked at it on Amazon and I still think it's a stupid idea.

At least I'm pretty sure I thought it was stupid when I saw it the last time around. I'm too lazy to go find Dawn's thread to see what I posted, so let's just say I'm being entirely consistent. :D

Well, here ya go:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/494094-wonderbag/?hl=%2Bwonderbag&do=findComment&comment=5298952

It isn't stupid for those without electricity.

Thanks for the link.

At least I'm consistent! :D

I don't know if it's particularly safe, because most people without electricity probably don't have an accurate food thermometer, either, so many people could end up getting sick from eating food that wasn't kept at a high enough temperature.

I have a bunch of expat friends who live in places with dicey electricity who were discussing this. They generally were concerned about food safety too, especially in places where food handling is already a concern. One uses this instead.

http://www.amazon.com/Saratoga-Jacks-Thermal-Cooker-Deluxe/dp/B007GRGQDA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390403625&sr=8-2&keywords=saratoga+jack+thermal+cooker

I'm not totally sold that either saves a lot of energy or wood anyway. When I cooked rice over a fire in Kyrgyzstan, I used lots more wood initially heating the food (which you still have to do with a wonderbag), and then very little while the pot simmered for an hour. Maybe I'm missing something?

I have a bunch of expat friends who live in places with dicey electricity who were discussing this. They generally were concerned about food safety too, especially in places where food handling is already a concern. One uses this instead.

http://www.amazon.com/Saratoga-Jacks-Thermal-Cooker-Deluxe/dp/B007GRGQDA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390403625&sr=8-2&keywords=saratoga+jack+thermal+cooker

I'm not totally sold that either saves a lot of energy or wood anyway. When I cooked rice over a fire in Kyrgyzstan, I used lots more wood initially heating the food (which you still have to do with a wonderbag), and then very little while the pot simmered for an hour. Maybe I'm missing something?

So, what's the difference between the thermal cooker and the Wonderbag (I just like saying the name)?

So, what's the difference between the thermal cooker and the Wonderbag (I just like saying the name)?

They're basically the same thing, except metal thermal cookers have a longer track record of not giving people food poisoning, I guess.  I've never used either, so I don't have a strong opinion about either, except thinking for thinking the energy savings are overstated. And I'll say Wonderbag again just for fun.