Menu

Aussies affected by wildfires?

Ravin

The closest fire to  me is 10 km. It is right behind the dairy farm that ds18 works on. IT was pretty hairy on Sunday, with many small communities and towns in my area getting evacuated, fortunately a wind change came in the nick of time, but unfortunately it pushed the fire onto other settlements and possibly up to 19 houses were lost in my fire district. I am in the far east of Victoria, heavily bushed, mostly large national parks and forested crown land. All with eucalyptus forest- which is one of the most flammable types of bush in the world. Many of the settlements have a one road only access through the bush. On Sunday there were over 200 fires burning throughout Victoria, burning through thousands of hectares, not one person lost their life, mostly thanks to a very expensive alert system the government has installed that sends texts to every person in the fire vicinity with three types of messages, these are watch and act- which means activate your fire plan( everyone is advised to have a fire plan each year). The next message is evacuate now, and the final message is too late to evacuate fire imminent seek shelter.   ON Sunday I received many texts that were directed to different settlements.

I am pretty sure that Rosie's fire plan was to evacuate. So she most probably left as soon as there was a fire anywhere near her area.

our fire plan is to stay and defend depending on weather conditions. this means we have fire pumps stationed around our house every summer connected tot eh dam, plus water barrels full of water at the corners of the house with mops, plus thingies DH made up to black the downpipes, plus each child knows exactly what their job is if there is a fire coming. For the older children this includes having fire clothes in their rooms etc.In rural areas of Australia we take fire threat very seriously each summer. this year is a particularly bad summer for bushfires.