Menu

Ideas for 4th math credit for student who doesn't love math.

I am planning on using Teaching Textbooks Alg 1, Geo, and Alg 2(if we can make it through) but will need a 4th math credit.  I think Precalculus will be pushing it for my daughter.  Is there something else we can take for 4th math credit ?  The Teaching Textbooks pre algebra seems to be working so far...

Statistics or College Algebra...College Algebra will keep the Algebra skills fresh, and take them beyond.  In many colleges, unless you are a STEM major, College Algebra will fulfill the math requirement for a humanities major -- She could take the CLEP test at that point for college credit.  Statistics would also work, and if she takes the AP Test also receive college credit.  I have no idea if a university will look more highly on one than another.

As a side note, Pre-Calc is simply College Algebra + Trigonometry, and not usually a full course in each.

As a side note, Pre-Calc is simply College Algebra + Trigonometry, and not usually a full course in each.

This may be true of university courses, but usually not for high school courses.

For a specific example, TT Precalc (not usually one of the stronger ones) covers more than we cover in our college algebra + trig sequence at the university. We do not do an equivalent to chapters 12, 13, and 14. We usually only cover one of 10 or 11, and the choice depends on who is teaching the course.

This may be true of university courses, but usually not for high school courses.

For a specific example, TT Precalc (not usually one of the stronger ones) covers more than we cover in our college algebra + trig sequence at the university. We do not do an equivalent to chapters 12, 13, and 14. We usually only cover one of 10 or 11, and the choice depends on who is teaching the course.

I suppose I wrote that incorrectly...it may be common for a book to contain all of the parts, it is uncommon for the entire book to be covered in a school year.  Homeschool products may be different.  I know Chalkdust also covers the whole of both.

I suppose I wrote that incorrectly...it may be common for a book to contain all of the parts, it is uncommon for the entire book to be covered in a school year.  Homeschool products may be different.  I know Chalkdust also covers the whole of both.

Yes, it absolutely depends on how much of the book the school actually covers. It is of course possible for a homeschooler to not cover all of a textbook and still assign credit; but most (here) seem to err on the side of caution and cover the whole book, or ask the advice of a math teacher on chapters to skip.

Are you saying if we can somehow make it through TT precalc that would be the equivalent of College Algebra?

Are you saying if we can somehow make it through TT precalc that would be the equivalent of College Algebra?

No, the material from college algebra + trig/precalc (varies by school) should all be covered in TT precalc. I'm only not sure about the depth of the word problems as I haven't seen TT personally.

I would be really surprised if a student who did well in TT precalc didn't place out of college algebra, or CLEP out with some test-specific study. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, just that I would say that this should happen to a very small minority of students.