Menu

Music Theory?

momma2three

My son's music teacher is having him do a (very gentle... he's only 5!) music theory workbook, and now my daughter wants one, too.  She's taken piano for about a year, but the books that her teacher uses don't have a theory book that goes with the series (the way that Alfred and Bastien do).  

In doing some internet research, it looks like Keith Snell's Fundamentals of Piano Theory, and Julie Johnson's Basics of Keyboard Theory both come highly recommended.  Both have 11 levels, ending right before AP-level coursework (and Julie Johnson has an AP prep book that seems to be well-loved).  I thought that something that includes a little about composition might be fun, too?

Does anyone who knows anything about music instruction or music theory have any suggestions?  I'd love it if this were something she studied through high school (though if she hates it, I won't push it).  But mostly I'd like it to teach effectively and be vaguely interesting.

If you want to use ABRSM, you can get this book as a textbook to teach yourself.  It will take you all the way through the first five levels of ABRSM.  And you can do mock exams at home with the Music Theory Past Papers.  That is what we are doing. 

I learned music theory with Snell.  If it were readily available here, I would consider using it instead. 

If you want to use ABRSM, you can get this book as a textbook to teach yourself.  It will take you all the way through the first five levels of ABRSM.  And you can do mock exams at home with the Music Theory Past Papers.  That is what we are doing. 

I learned music theory with Snell.  If it were readily available here, I would consider using it instead. 

Thank you!  That looks very helpful.

Music Mind Games is great. I used it way back in DD's one year of PS K.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/other/aw/d/0898985617?cache=ab97dde1b4fd8759db70ea3dcdccfdae#ref=mp_s_a_1_1&qid=1391961735&sr=8-1&precache=1

There are lots of manipulatives for sale by the author, but I made most of my own. A good program for active, visual kids.