Menu

Which college search site has your student liked?

plansrme

I mean one of those that lets you plug in your major, school size, urban versus rural, sports, average SAT, etc., and spits out potential matches.  I used to have one bookmarked that was great, but either I have lost my bookmark or it has changed so much that it is no longer any good.

My son has used a few sites during his search.

www.CollegeBoard.com has the best general search, we've found. It's a good place to start generating a list of possibilities and getting preliminary information about various campuses.

www.CollegeData.com has detailed information about applicants to various colleges and lets you explore stats for students who've been admitted to each school. We've had a lot of fun playing around with their College Chances Calculator, which lets the student save a profile with his or her grades, test scores, etc., and then get a rough estimate of the chance of being admitted to a particular school.

We only recently discovered www.Parchment.com, because he was required to use it to order official transcripts from FLVS. They have some features quite similar to College Data, and I find the site easier to navigate.

Both College Data and Parchment have search features, but neither one seems as finely tuned or as helpful as the College Board version.

Thanks for the responses.  None of these is the one I had come across before and really liked, but it does make me think that either I imagined the other one (quite possible) or that it has changed so that it is one of these, and I just do not recognize it any more.

I like collegeview because the results show how the schools matched what I requested.  Ie. If I use an ACT code of 30, it will show the ACT results for the schools.  Collegeboard does not do that.

I didn't realize you were looking for a particular site.  Here are a couple others I don't use that haven't been mentioned so far:

http://www.collegeresults.org/search2a.aspx

http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/