Menu

Has anyone here actually used Omnibus 1 with a 7th/8th grader despite...

http://www.exodusbooks.com/category.aspx?id=5870

"Omnibus I includes a chapter onThe Twelve Caesars by Suetonius; students read the complete text along with commentary by Brent Harken, and complete extensive written exercises. The version used was translated by Robert Graves and edited by James B. Rives; Rives softened some of the more graphic content. Even so, it's still graphic content—chapters on Caligula, Nero, and Domitian include descriptions of bestiality, pedophilia, incest, and more. While Harken is clear that this is wicked behaviour, having 7th graders read content like this (The Twelve Caesars is one of the primary texts for year-one second-semester) seems to us inadvisable, at least in many cases. Also, Harken's interpretation of the text is a bit odd. Proceed with caution, and if necessary skip this text altogether."

We did Omnibus I last year, and we're doing Omnibus II this year. My son and I decide on the chapters we will cover, then I buy the child's versions of most (except Narnia, Tolkein and Beowulf and a few others). I read them aloud to ds. I read the Omnibus text aloud, skipping things that are too 'mature' for him, then we do the questions aloud, also skipping where necessary. The result has been wonderful: my ds loves Omnibus and I have noticed that it has developed his ability to see beyond the surface of a text. He has also learnt a lot about history that goes alongside our history studies.

Ds still does his own personal reading with his favourite author (Rick Riordan), but I read aloud everything else because I want to be involved and also want to be clear that he understands these often difficult texts. Furthermore, research has shown that kids under the age of 14 gain more from being read to, than reading themselves. 

My oldest son completed Omnibus I as a 7th grader and is completing Omnibus II as an 8th grader. He has done all of the reading for Primary and Secondary in the recommended texts (not a jr. version). We are a conservative Christian family.

There are areas that are very disturbing, but that is the truth about living in a fallen world. In our experience, they were acknowledged and then he moved on; there wasn't a dwelling on them or salaciousness to it. Everything was brought back to scripture and viewed through that context. We had the exact opposite of "hindering the learning experience" -- I saw my son's maturity (intellectually and spiritually) grow by leaps and bounds over these last two years. In fact, he initiated the process with our church elders and became a member of our church last year.

We are planning for our second oldest to begin Omnibus I next year (7th) and our oldest continue with Omnibus III for 9th.

http://www.exodusbooks.com/category.aspx?id=5870

"Omnibus I includes a chapter onThe Twelve Caesars by Suetonius; students read the complete text along with commentary by Brent Harken, and complete extensive written exercises. The version used was translated by Robert Graves and edited by James B. Rives; Rives softened some of the more graphic content. Even so, it's still graphic content—chapters on Caligula, Nero, and Domitian include descriptions of bestiality, pedophilia, incest, and more. While Harken is clear that this is wicked behaviour, having 7th graders read content like this (The Twelve Caesars is one of the primary texts for year-one second-semester) seems to us inadvisable, at least in many cases. Also, Harken's interpretation of the text is a bit odd. Proceed with caution, and if necessary skip this text altogether."

Thank you for sharing this link! I know I'd read this one about Omnibus some time ago, but as the time draws nearer, it now makes more sense to me. 

I love the descriptions that Exodus provides for each curriculum. I'm determined to purchase some materials from them—instead of elsewhere—for our next year of studies, purely out of appreciation in that regard. 

We did Omnibus I last year, and we're doing Omnibus II this year. My son and I decide on the chapters we will cover, then I buy the child's versions of most (except Narnia, Tolkein and Beowulf and a few others). I read them aloud to ds. I read the Omnibus text aloud, skipping things that are too 'mature' for him, then we do the questions aloud, also skipping where necessary. The result has been wonderful: my ds loves Omnibus and I have noticed that it has developed his ability to see beyond the surface of a text. He has also learnt a lot about history that goes alongside our history studies.

Ds still does his own personal reading with his favourite author (Rick Riordan), but I read aloud everything else because I want to be involved and also want to be clear that he understands these often difficult texts. Furthermore, research has shown that kids under the age of 14 gain more from being read to, than reading themselves. 

Did your ds complete VP's 5-year history cycle for the grammar stage prior to Omnibus 1?

My oldest son completed Omnibus I as a 7th grader and is completing Omnibus II as an 8th grader. He has done all of the reading for Primary and Secondary in the recommended texts (not a jr. version). We are a conservative Christian family.

There are areas that are very disturbing, but that is the truth about living in a fallen world. In our experience, they were acknowledged and then he moved on; there wasn't a dwelling on them or salaciousness to it. Everything was brought back to scripture and viewed through that context. We had the exact opposite of "hindering the learning experience" -- I saw my son's maturity (intellectually and spiritually) grow by leaps and bounds over these last two years. In fact, he initiated the process with our church elders and became a member of our church last year.

We are planning for our second oldest to begin Omnibus I next year (7th) and our oldest continue with Omnibus III for 9th.

These (bolded points) are helpful to know. Thank you!

I have the same question for you. Did your ds complete VP's 5-year history cycle for the grammar stage prior to Omnibus 1? If so, did he independently read from level 1 or 2 of the historical literature assignments?

Also, have you incorporated Western Civilization by Spielvogel or Streams of Civilization along with Omnibus?

I have the same question for you. Did your ds complete VP's 5-year history cycle for the grammar stage prior to Omnibus 1? If so, did he independently read from level 1 or 2 of the historical literature assignments?

Also, have you incorporated Western Civilization by Spielvogel or Streams of Civilization along with Omnibus?

Oldest ds did not complete VP's cycle. We started out trying to combine VP with SOTW and then scrapped that for just SOTW (with Kingfisher & Usborne for older grades). I used many of VP's (and Sonlight's) literature recommendations for each history cycle along with the SOTW recommendations. This was an excellent preparation for the rigors of Omnibus in my opinion. 

Second oldest ds (the one going into Omnibus I next year) followed the same path except for using the 1815-Present Self-Paced program this year for 6th grade. He is reading the level two books. This ds is my most advanced reader and can go through the VP level 2 selections in 1-2 days. I can't quite say that I'm thrilled with it as the amount of books read is 1/4 the amount older ds read and there is absolutely no writing component. I consider it a step down in ability to what we did before and will not be having the other boys use it. 

We use Western Civilization. We have Streams of Civilization, but found it dry, dry, dry. (And we are fans of CLP!) 

We did it with our 7th & 8th graders last year.  We didn't do all the books (slow reader), but it was a very good year.  Though my 2nd son did ask why junior high was all about s3x.  we discussed a lot, and the connections they made were awesome.  We're also a conservative Christian family.  We didn't do junior versions, either.  We're not doing Omni us this year (I chose to do a year of American history), but plan to go back to Omnibus next year. 

IOW, I agree with Heather.

Second oldest ds (the one going into Omnibus I next year) followed the same path except for using the 1815-Present Self-Paced program this year for 6th grade. He is reading the level two books. This ds is my most advanced reader and can go through the VP level 2 selections in 1-2 days. I can't quite say that I'm thrilled with it as the amount of books read is 1/4 the amount older ds read and there is absolutely no writing component. I consider it a step down in ability to what we did before and will not be having the other boys use it. 

Are you adding your own writing component to the 1815-Present Self-Paced program this year for your second oldest ds? What did you use for a writing component while previously doing SOTW?

Also, do you happen to have any compiled booklists from VP, Sonlight, and SOTW that you wouldn't mind sharing with the rest of us?   :drool5:  Perhaps your favorites from each year? 

We do one hour per day in the afternoon. It's our relaxation after math, science and essay writing. We've almost completed the Beowulf chapter and here's how we did it, as an example of how I have done the other texts: Week 1: I read Beowulf aloud to ds on the sofa; around 20 pages in one hour. The book takes 5 hours in total to read aloud. Week 2: I read the essay over two days, one hour slots. For the next 3 days we did the questions and discussion orally. We practiced Kennings and Norse Riddles and had lots of fun with them. Next week it will probably take me another 2 or 3 one-hour slots to finish the questions. Then he will do a 5 paragraph essay book report on Beowulf. 

Omnibus Shakespeare we do this way: First we read the Lambs version of the play, then we watch the movie, then we choose the characters we want to take and we read it aloud together. Then I read the Omnibus discussion and questions. That takes 3 weeks. 

Are you adding your own writing component to the 1815-Present Self-Paced program this year for your second oldest ds? What did you use for a writing component while previously doing SOTW?

Also, do you happen to have any compiled booklists from VP, Sonlight, and SOTW that you wouldn't mind sharing with the rest of us?   :drool5:  Perhaps your favorites from each year?

I might have phrased that incorrectly; Our writing component in the past was through outlining and narrations (ala The Well-Trained Mind). Yes, I am thinking that we will  add in more reading and writing to finish out this year. 

I think it is so odd that there are so many great books in the VP catalog and they schedule so few in the self-paced classes. Ds (11)  has been scheduled one book a week in the past, where ds (8) was scheduled a chapter to a few chapters a day based on difficulty.  I based it (generally) on time recommendations in TWTM, that is @30-60 min a day of silent reading. 

I don't have a master list in a file, but it's really easy to pull together. I generally tried to find a book a week on whatever the topic of the week was. Favorites in our house were Landmark books and Colonel Red Reeder books. We filled in around those with the Sonlight and VP books. 

How much time did your students spend daily doing Omnibus? Could you please break it down for me (i.e., reading, discussions, writing assignment, etc.)?

Oldest ds has taken Omnibus I and II primary and secondary with VPSA. He spends on average an hour a day in reading/writing in addition to class time.