Menu

Latin recommendation

bluedarling

I would like to start Latin with a precocious 8yo and struggling 13yo.  Recommendations?  13yo has some interest to motivate her, though this is likely to be a struggle for her.  I offered it as a replacement for vocab curriculum that, ummm, has done all the good its going to do, though I'm also hoping it will help with grammar and memorization, too.  I have NO background with Latin, and don't care for too much rigor...I'd rather the curriculum peak interest.  Christian (protestant) or secular both fine.

Latin Alive level 1 is perfect for a 13yo with no previous Latin. :) It is DVD driven and my 13yo runs it by herself.

My precocious 8yo is using Latin for Children with good success. She has the bundle and uses every part (workbook, DVD, activity book, reader), though their new online version looks really good too.

Hm... I can't think of one I could put my precocious 8yo and 13yo in together. If I had to I'd go with Latin for Children, but I'd have the 13yo moving faster through the lessons. Latin Alive expects more maturity and was written with a 7th grade(+) kid in mind. My 13yo runs the latter by herself though, and I just have to correct it.

Fwiw I'm considering putting my 8yo in Latin Alive this fall (she'll be 9yo/4th). She is "advanced" and has a couple years of Latin under her belt already, and I expect her to go slower than the intended pace.

I probably would not put my 13yo in curriculum designed for 7+, as she is not a strong student and has language processing issues. Curriculum for grades 5-8 is generally perfect for both of them.  Latin for Children for both would probably be the better fit of the two. As for pace...I don't know if they would move at different paces until I try...13yo is not nearly as motivated as 8yo.

I'm using Lively Latin with an 8 year old and a 14 year old that would meet your descriptions. We do use it in place of vocab (although if I were serious about it, I might have them keep a notebook or note cards of the derivatives we've learned.) I also consider it 1/2 our grammar at the moment.

It also has history based on Famous Men of Rome (with other bits thrown in) that you can use or skip. The lessons can be taught independently, but we use the online videos about half the time and find them useful.

We like it. I wish there was a Greek equivalent.

The Visual Latin looks like something my 13yo would really enjoy...she loves humorous videos!  But I like the price of Getting Started with Latin.  Minimus looks great, too, and is what I had in my cart to purchase before I decided to ask, since I was having issues with the price. Lively Latin I'm a little worried about the notebook and our lack of organizational skills...my experience of getting them to put things in a notebook where they belong is not good...we just end up with papers everywhere.  Of course, that would be somewhat true of Visual Latin, too!  The songs and motions with Latin for children would match the learning style of oldest, as well (though she also might feel she's too old for it)......HELP!  Too many good choices!