Menu

wanting to buy a used french horn....can you answer a question for me?

kfeusse

I have a son who wants to play french horn.  I have been looking on ebay for a used double french horn...prices range from $500-$3000....they also range from "vintage" to newer.  The vintage ones are usually less expensive. 

But, here is my question...

there a a  local guy here who wants to sell a completely restored 1968 french horn.  If it was completely restored several years ago (like 3-5), and if the price is within our budget, should I be concerned that its nearly 50 years old?

thanks.

I have bought two used french horns off of ebay --- both approximately that vintage. I was careful to choose someone with good feedback, a return period, etc. They both played fine, certainly they aren't the limiting factor -- french horn is difficult! I would research that brand and model if you can (lots of info online, though not as much for french horn as some other instruments), and if you can arrange for an instructor to evaluate it for suitability that would be great.

The bottom line, I wouldn't let the age of the instrument hold me back if it was in good working condition and sounded good. My kids are playing instruments as old as the 1920's, up to the 1970's and all play fine.

If you can find a good music store in your area they will check it out for you. A great music store, that sells instruments and knows what they are doing, is worth traveling for.

If the seller is legit they won't mind if you get it checked out. At the very least ask where it was restored and by who. That might let you know if the restoration was done by a professional.

I have a son who wants to play french horn.  I have been looking on ebay for a used double french horn...prices range from $500-$3000....they also range from "vintage" to newer.  The vintage ones are usually less expensive. 

But, here is my question...

there a a  local guy here who wants to sell a completely restored 1968 french horn.  If it was completely restored several years ago (like 3-5), and if the price is within our budget, should I be concerned that its nearly 50 years old?

thanks.

I would ask your son's french horn teacher (or prospective french horn teacher, or band/orchestra teacher...) to evaluate the instrument.  He/she should be able to make sure it plays properly, and give you pricing advice.

My 40 to 50 year old trumpet is better than most new trumpets because it is a good brand, quality makes a difference. I would have someone who has played a brass instrument for a while look at it and evaluate it. Also, look up the brand and how to evaluate French horns by Googling online, you should get some good ideas.