Menu

Second grade LA...am I missing anything? Overkill?

pitterpatter

What I scheduled for LA this past year was overkill and a lot of busywork.

Thinking about these for second grade. Am I missing anything? I don't *think* it's overkill, but correct me, if I'm wrong.

Easy Grammar 2

Language Lessons through Literature 2

AAS 2+

Wordly Wise 3000 2 (print version)

Evan-Moor Daily 6-Trait Writing 2

Phonics Pathways (for review and reinforcement...there's some things we need to work on)

This year, we used this for things like learning main idea, comparing/contrasting, fantasy/reality, sequencing, etc. I'm not seeing these kind of topics covered in any of the above. Aside from using this again, what else is there for reading comprehension?

5186F4U4wnL._AA160_.jpg

PS - Do I need the teacher's guide for Wordly Wise 3000? I'm fine with buying it, if it's needed.

ETA: I should probably mention that I believe in a rigorous schedule, but I need to stay away from busywork. I want everything we do this year to be as meaningful as possible.

--------------------

Upon further reflection, I'm now considering the following instead of what I originally posted above. I *think* this is more streamlined and closer to what I was originally looking for.

Easy Grammar 2

Language Lessons through Literature 2

The Elson Readers: Primer + Teacher's Guide (and then Book 1+) 

AAS 2+

Evan-Moor Daily 6-Trait Writing, Grade 2

Evan-Moor A Word A Day, Grade 2 (We currently use Grade 1, which DD adores. Retention is great, so I've kicked out the more laborious World Wise 3000.)

Not all of these will be completed daily, so I think I will be able to fit it all in.

I didn't do any literature study at this age, but I did focus more on reading that what you are.  I kept up with phonics through the 2nd grade, and I purchased Elson Readers or read them online to continue the reading complexity and vocabulary exposure.  I would do that, but that doesn't mean that you should do it!  :D

In my opinion, six or seven resources for second grade language arts is overkill.

Language Lessons through Literature plus phonics/reading and listening to quality children’s literature being read aloud would make a fine language arts program for second grade.

LLTL is billed as a gentle, Charlotte Mason style approach to language arts.  If you feel it is too gentle, drop LLTL.  Do Easy Grammar, AAS or Worldly Wise, and 6-Trait Writing instead.

In the interests of disclose, this is what my second grader does:

Reading – reads to me from a book of his choice 

Language Smarts

Junior English (most lessons are done orally)

Cursive Handwriting

DD also reads aloud to me for 15-30 minutes daily. I didn't think to put that in. I am considering McGuffey's or similar instead, and having her free read for a set number of minutes "after" school. I'll check into Elson as well.

I didn't do any literature study at this age, but I did focus more on reading that what you are.  I kept up with phonics through the 2nd grade, and I purchased Elson Readers or read them online to continue the reading complexity and vocabulary exposure.  I would do that, but that doesn't mean that you should do it!  :D

I do feel LLTL is light as a complete program, but I think DD would love it. She's a sucker for classics. I like the exposure she would get as well. And, the copywork. I also like that it's vastly different than what we've done this year, which is worksheet-based. Since LLTL is only three days a week, I was hoping Easy Grammar would make a nice complement.

My main concern is how long Wordly Wise might take.

Thanks for you input. I need to think some more.

In my opinion, six or seven resources for second grade language arts is overkill.

Language Lessons through Literature plus phonics/reading and listening to quality children’s literature being read aloud would make a fine language arts program for second grade.

LLTL is billed as a gentle, Charlotte Mason style approach to language arts.  If you feel it is too gentle, drop LLTL.  Do Easy Grammar, AAS or Worldly Wise, and 6-Trait Writing instead.

In the interests of disclose, this is what my second grader does:

Reading – reads to me from a book of his choice 

Language Smarts

Junior English (most lessons are done orally)

Cursive Handwriting

You have three word (spelling/phonic/vocabulary) programs (AAS, WorldyWise, and Phonics Pathways). If there's phonics review needed, I'd do it before or during the child's read-aloud. For the my kids' second grade, a spelling program was the focus with new vocabulary coming from history, science, and literature.

Easy Grammar is gentle, but if you're using LLtL, I'd simply point out grammar in writing exercises and reading excerpts.

I don't have a formal reading comprehension program. I talk with my kids about the books and articles they've read, which IMO, is a richer, more engaging teaching method.

Dd's second grade curriculum:

Spelling: Spelling Workout

Reading: Literature, history, and science read-alouds. If I notice issues with phonics, I go to the OPGRTR lesson and give a mini-review.

Writing: WWE2

Grammar: R&S2 (I wish there was a secular grammar program as thorough as this one)

DS's second grade curriculum (from three years ago):

Spelling: Natural Speller (good book, but DD needed more formal program)

Reading: same as DD

Writing: WWE based on instructor's guide

Grammar: Easy Grammar

Yes, I think it's overkill. I think you should step back and decide on your goals for language arts instead of trying to cover every possible angle with a bunch of different programs. Vocabulary can wait until you're done with spelling. Reading comprehension can be done simply by asking questions after reading aloud or independent reading. What is it you need/want to cover? A bit of grammar, some spelling practice, have her read aloud a bit every day for phonics/reading practice, some copywork, dictation, and narration for writing, and lots of reading (aloud and silently). That's all you need.

Ah, I use Primary Phonics (with readers) and Explode the Code.  :D  We have a library of vintage Dick and Jane and Elson readers too!  We do spelling (with lists and worksheets) as well as word walls (lists of specialized or topical words).  So, I would disagree about mutliple resources and overkill.  Review isn't always the point - it's all about the mastery and the volume of word exposure.  I do vocabulary with our "word wall".  I just didn't by WW. I have handwriting practice and copywork during the week too.  Paragraphs/Journal entries each week and grammatical studies (we are studying capitalization and punctuation as well as verbs and nouns).  

For me, LA and Math are the primary needs in K through second grade.  You can never have enough practice.  It makes the difference in all content areas. 

We are done with "class" in about three hours and four hours if we have jitterbugs.  I send her off to read and color. 

I think where I slack is on history.  I don't follow a classical method, but more an interest-led or Charlotte-Mason style. I hit the biggies, ie community helpers, holiday origins, etc.  Science is every other week and I use Elemental Science.  We are also building paper habitats and studying them (thanks to dollar deals).

Remember each child is different. Teach as much as you can while you can.  Then they turn 13!  LOL

HTH everyone :)

ETA:  I do not think that you can ever be done with spelling.  Actually, I don't pick up a true vocabulary program until the seventh grade (worked both times).  And honestly, most spelling books are really just phonics in disguise and don't actually label themselves appropriately.  The books become true spelling books somewhere around the thrid grade. 

Last thing, grammar needs to be practiced and applied and not just demonstarted.... really, I'm off to read now.  Bet you can't guess - Vampire Academy LOL

Hah! I'm getting ready to head to bed to read a little "Up From the Grave," Jeaniene Frost's just-released Cat and Bones book. (In case you're unfamiliar, it's about vampires. :p)

Last thing, grammar needs to be practiced and applied and not just demonstarted.... really, I'm off to read now.  Bet you can't guess - Vampire Academy LOL

Ok, I've finally dug up some decent samples for the Elson Readers and also some teacher's guides. The readers and teacher's guides together are more what I want for reading comprehension...covers many other things too. Thanks so much!! I like them better than what I was finding with McGuffey's.

----------------

Links to Elson Readers and Teacher's Guides. You can download good samples for each book.

http://www.lostclassicsbooks.com/catalog/6

Hah! I'm getting ready to head to bed to read a little "Up From the Grave," Jeaniene Frost's just-released Cat and Bones book. (In case you're unfamiliar, it's about vampires. :p)

LOL, I am behind two books on that series.  The s*x makes me blush horribly!

Glad you liked the Elson set.  I love them.  They did wonders for my littles ... when they were little.  Slowly they integrate literature too.  I remember book 5 really diving into literary elements.  It has been a few years since having them out.  :)

BTW, you will know when you have too much.  They will let you know and you will see the signs of burn out.  I find adding unschooling days really has helped.  A good example of an unschooling moment, measuring the snowballs and the snowman.  :)  Life is learning. 

Currently I have a DD in Grade 2. Here's what we are doing right now for LA:

English/Reading - Ambleside Y2 + Lots of Modern Free-reading and Audiobooks + Daily Selections from the You Read To Me, I'll Read to You series + Bi-weekly Recitations from A Child's Garden of Verses
Spelling - Steck-Vaughn Level 2 + Homemade Spelling Cards and Spelling Memory Games
Phonics - Spectrum Grade 2 (as needed)

Every child is different. Some kids love reading, some kids are big on writing. My girl isn't ready for writing and grammar and I don't plan on starting her on anything writing-related until she reaches the logic stage. Some parents would see what I do with her and think that there are gaps in her education or that she's behind or ahead. I worry sometimes that we are not doing enough or that maybe I am holding her back because I don't want to make her older brother feel dumb since he's doing the same work as her in these areas, except for phonics.

She is very good with auditory stuff, prefers to do her spelling assignments verbally and excels with narration and oration assignments. We haven't done much writing, although she does do quite a bit of copy work (selections from our Ambleside reading assignments + scripture from my big ol' mean mommy's scripture list.)

I wouldn't overload on LA because you'll be doing plenty of reading for history and science, plus you will want her to enjoy reading on her own for pleasure. Leave room for her to explore reading outside of LA. That's my primary goal: to have my kids enjoy literature. I want my kids to be like the kids in the old Reading Rainbow intro, basically... :lol:

That's one thing about DD...she loves books/stories of all sorts and absolutely adores classic literature. She's also really into vocabulary and does very well with grammar and also sentence construction. She doesn't like the physical act of writing much, but she enjoys constructing sentences and crafting stories.

Currently I have a DD in Grade 2. Here's what we are doing right now for LA:

English/Reading - Ambleside Y2 + Lots of Modern Free-reading and Audiobooks + Daily Selections from the You Read To Me, I'll Read to You series + Bi-weekly Recitations from A Child's Garden of Verses
Spelling - Steck-Vaughn Level 2 + Homemade Spelling Cards and Spelling Memory Games
Phonics - Spectrum Grade 2 (as needed)

Every child is different. Some kids love reading, some kids are big on writing. My girl isn't ready for writing and grammar and I don't plan on starting her on anything writing-related until she reaches the logic stage. Some parents would see what I do with her and think that there are gaps in her education or that she's behind or ahead. I worry sometimes that we are not doing enough or that maybe I am holding her back because I don't want to make her older brother feel dumb since he's doing the same work as her in these areas, except for phonics.

She is very good with auditory stuff, prefers to do her spelling assignments verbally and excels with narration and oration assignments. We haven't done much writing, although she does do quite a bit of copy work (selections from our Ambleside reading assignments + scripture from my big ol' mean mommy's scripture list.)

I wouldn't overload on LA because you'll be doing plenty of reading for history and science, plus you will want her to enjoy reading on her own for pleasure. Leave room for her to explore reading outside of LA. That's my primary goal: to have my kids enjoy literature. I want my kids to be like the kids in the old Reading Rainbow intro, basically... :lol:

DD's into "Henry and Mudge" and "Annie and Snowball" books right now. She reads them pretty well, but she has a few issues that I hope the readers will help. I'm starting with Primer for the grammar instruction and as a confidence-builder...to help us get used to the program. I'll likely use Elson only twice a week...on opposite days from LLTL. Those other days she'll continue on with contemporary books or read a story from a Treadwell reader.

How well does she read? Might she enjoy just reading books instead of readers? For my dd 2nd grade, we are doing How to Teach Spelling (like AAS but with workbooks), Rod and Staff Grammar (orally, 2x a week), FLL 2, and a writing workshop of sorts. She has finally begun writing without it being horrible torture, hence the writing workshop. Earlier in the year we did IEW (I had a recent thread about how she hates it!) Bible Heroes, and also gave LLTL a try. She liked LLTL. She reads very well, so I am mainly trying to keep ahead of her in books to make sure she has something interesting to read. My goal was to getting her reading as easily and as quickly as possible. When I think about it, I ask her to read something aloud to me for fluency.