Menu

Spanish program like MP's Latin program

KrissiK

So, we bought Rosetta Stone for our 5th grader to start Spanish and he hates it. He does it because we make him, but he's not learning anything. I was thinking it was because he's just not trying, he's very smart, but would rather skateboard or shoot baskets. But then I started suspecting something, which was confirmed by his remark yesterday as we were watching his First Form Latin DVD. He said, "can we get a Spanish program like my Latin program?" I realized that he is a very linear, systematic thinker and that's why he does so well with MP's curriculum. It is linear and very systematic.

So, the question is.... Can anyone recommend a Spanish program that is grammar based and systematic, rather than conversational, like RS?

Can't offer a program suggestion, but I've found RS to be helpful after you've got a handle on the nuances of grammar/sentence structure/etc. Learning/intuiting those from RS is difficult. You at least need a linear grammar book to go along with it. Anyway, I just wanted to say he might enjoy it LATER, after he's got his feel under him securely. It's great for adding vocabulary, cleaning up pronunciation, listening skills and eventually intuiting how the language works.

Good luck!

So, the question is.... Can anyone recommend a Spanish program that is grammar based and systematic, rather than conversational, like RS?

Well, Getting Started With Spanish fits your request, but it isn't a full blown program like MP's Latin ones are. It won't last you very long. I was hoping CAP's Spanish for Children would be a good follow-up, but it was a bust here. I'm going to put dd#1 into an online program next year -- just have to decide which one.

Good luck!

I would use GSWS for now, as it's incremental and grammar-focused (similar to MP) but I really think a tutor or online program ought to be in the mixture. I've seen the difference in DD with learning on her own versus having a local tutor and/or Skype tutor (we have both). Have you seen Galore's Spanish, http://www.galorepark.co.uk/Product?Product=9781902984100? Or Breaking the Barrier Spanish, http://www.tobreak.com/print-program/?

I'm also trying to decide on which online Spanish program, but right now it's more important for DD to be conversational while we use our many Spanish curricula. I also have Practice Makes Perfect workbooks, cheap and efficient.