Menu

Help implementing MCT!

IanSebast

My ds was using this program and was thriving, as the material wasn't necessarily challenging, but it was new. Some time ago, after the birth of my third child, I decided that using all the components of MCT was taking way too long, so I just boxed it up and got him R&S 5th grade, according to his age, not grade level, so he could work more independently. Well, my plan backfired because he's finishing a lesson in 15 minutes and not being challenged at all, he sees it as busy work, and I HATE it! I want to go back to MCT, but I have no clue about how to do it since 1) he's lost a lot of time, and 2) I still don't have a lot of time to use all the components using the Socratic method. Any ideas? Did I ruin him for life? How can I make MCT independent work for him?

Honestly, the great thing about MCT is that it facilitates conversation about language.  If you have him do it independently, you'll lose what makes it great.

When I've used MCT, I've found that it only takes a few minutes (maybe 15 at most) each day.  It is really one of the least time consuming LA programs I've found, probably because it's designed to be used on top of whatever teachers are required by their schools to use.

Honestly, the great thing about MCT is that it facilitates conversation about language.  If you have him do it independently, you'll lose what makes it great.

When I've used MCT, I've found that it only takes a few minutes (maybe 15 at most) each day.  It is really one of the least time consuming LA programs I've found, probably because it's designed to be used on top of whatever teachers are required by their schools to use.

I agree about losing something if everything is done independently.

I am confused about the time you mentioned. 15 minutes a day? For all the components? I don't think that has been true for any level here. Most certainly not at the level we're at now. What level are you referring to? Did you use all the components?

ETA: Thinking back, for the first levels that might be about right, but there is no way that would be enough for later levels.

We go in the order suggested by the MCT people but I spread them out a bit more so we’re doing less components at once, I think. I’ve kind of forgotten their recommendation so we may be doing closer to what they suggest. I start with the Grammar Book (we’re on Voyage now), then add the Practice Voyage when he’s done with the Grammar book. We start Caesar’s English about the same time as the Practice Voyage. With the other levels I started the Poetry and Writing books when we were done with CE. I’m going to hold off on Essay Voyage for awhile though. We also use WWS and writing is not my son’s strong point or favorite thing and it would be overkill. We’re taking it really slowly with WWW and I’ll wait and add Essay Voyage in when he’s either done with WWS I or as a change of pace at some point. I may not do the poetry book with this level, I know other people love it but it has not been my favorite way to study poetry. 

Our daily schedule: 

We do the Grammar Book for about 20 minutes twice a week. I do read it out loud with him because he likes it better. He does a lot of other work independently and enjoys the discussion time with me for this one and I do think he gets more out of it that way. 

Once we are done with Grammar I have him two practice sentences a day (3-4 times a week). He does them and then I check them or sometimes he checks himself and we discuss if he missed anything or if he doesn’t understand it. 

At the point he’s doing the practice sentences we start Caesar’s English. I do two lessons over two weeks, so one of the stem lessons and one of the vocab word lessons. We spend about 15-20 minutes 3 days a week on CE. He studies the word lists on his own on the other days and takes a test at the end. 

My eldest does some independently and some with me.  My middle child does it all with me, but she's on the first level. 

We follow the order suggested by MCT, but I can't remember off the top of my head what this is.  I would imagine that it would be on the Royal Fireworks Press website somewhere.  Initially, we're only doing one book.  Then it's two, then it's three.  We don't do more than 3 books at one time.  When we have 3 books at one time, I do one every day and the other two alternating days, so it's still never more than two things.  It really doesn't take much time other than some of the writing exercises once you get to the 3rd level.  They were fairly fast before this.  (There are still some faster writing activities in there).  We do the poetry book as well.  We do not do the extra literature component, but do everything else in the basic package.  For reading, they read books that they're interested in that are on their reading level.  (2nd grader is currently doing Little House on the Prairie series for hers and the 5th grader is doing War of the Worlds for his).