Menu

*lifeoftheparty*

I think she will probably have to go to either the Slidell or metro New Orleans area for groups, classes, and activities. 

The Homeschool Cottage in Slidell has a good bit of curriculum, and will know about the various groups in that area: http://www.thecottageslidell.com/

There are several groups in metro NOLA, both in the city and on the west bank. What age is her son? Is she looking for secular, Christian, or either? 

In Louisiana, you can register as a non-approved public school, or you can register under the home study option. You need to register under home study for at least the final two years of high school in order to be eligible for TOPS. Both ways are pretty easy. Forms and such can be found at the department of education: http://www.louisianabelieves.com/

It varies so much by parish. There are very few in St Landry, but tons in Lafayette and quite a few in Alexandria. 

She will need to register even if her child is less than seven, because he was in school. 

If she registers unapproved private, there is no supervision, no regulation, no monitoring, no testing. 

We're in the New Orleans area. Our local co-op scene is pretty much nil, besides Classical Conversations, which is plentiful.  There are several looser support groups, though.  The only convention I know of (and if you find more, please report back!) is the one put on by the large state-wide conservative Christian group CHEF.  It's in Baton Rouge in April of every year.  We go to it, and it's decent, but it's pretty overrun by the long hair denim jumper types.  They do draw a decent group of vendors, so that's always fun to browse.  

We're in the New Orleans area. Our local co-op scene is pretty much nil, besides Classical Conversations, which is plentiful.  There are several looser support groups, though.  The only convention I know of (and if you find more, please report back!) is the one put on by the large state-wide conservative Christian group CHEF.  It's in Baton Rouge in April of every year.  We go to it, and it's decent, but it's pretty overrun by the long hair denim jumper types.  They do draw a decent group of vendors, so that's always fun to browse.  

We do Classical Conversations and I *love* it, but I don't think she would be into it. And yeah, I saw that convention listed...

Any idea why there are so few homeschoolers/resources there? The schools there are downright awful, generally speaking, I would expect there to be more homeschoolers... it's weird.

• 2 weeks later...

Any idea why there are so few homeschoolers/resources there? The schools there are downright awful, generally speaking, I would expect there to be more homeschoolers... it's weird.

Homeschooling is definitely growing here, but New Orleans has had a long term culture of private (mostly Catholic) schooling, so while yes, the schools are downright awful, private school is the norm. I agree--totally weird.