Menu

Eye exam for DS

Not certain how thorough this is but we did go to the Developmental Optometrist.  DS has a lot of light sensitivity, which he has had all of his life, but he seemed to have kind of grown out of it.  We were wrong.  Actually, he has just stopped mentioning it.  When they started the exam and were shining a bright light directly into his eye he was in agony.  It made it quite painful for him to get through the exam, but the doctor was very understanding and tried to reduce the light as much as possible while still giving the exam.  When the doctor asked him about it, he told him that light bothers his eyes a lot.  He just thought that was normal.  We did have his eyes examined when he was 2 because he seemed to be SO sensitive to light changes.  Nothing was discovered except that he had great vision and light sensitivity.  Guess those two things haven't changed.  Despite the light sensitivity, his eyes look extremely healthy and his visual acuity is better than 20/15...really awesome (not the light sensitivity, but the 20/15+ vision).

However, he has heterophoria.  His left eye keeps tracking upward and he is constantly fighting to bring both eyes back into alignment, causing eye fatigue and making it difficult for him to follow the words across the page.  

The light sensitivity may also be causing fatigue as he tries to get through his lessons.  Our work area has a lot of sunlight pouring in and the sunlight reflects off of various surfaces, which may be causing additional strain.

We start VT for the heterophoria in about a week and are still working on different options for the light sensitivity.

As with others, it is nice to have some confirmation that I'm not crazy.  There really is a vision issue, too.

Answers are lovely to have. My kids and I always joke about having Vampire eyes, too. However, we just never leave the house without a hat or shades for our eyes. Eta: can't imagine even indoor lighting hurting, too!

Poor baby just dealing with the light issues :(.Hope VT is productive for him. My daughters start soon as well.

Answers are lovely to have. My kids and I always joke about having Vampire eyes, too. However, we just never leave the house without a hat or shades for our eyes. Eta: can't imagine even indoor lighting hurting, too!

Poor baby just dealing with the light issues :(.Hope VT is productive for him. My daughters start soon as well.

Good luck!  Hope VT goes well for your dc too.