Menu

Aussies... Book recommendation?

Kind of hard to say because most Australians hate Australian history. :p

Rabbit Proof Fence is a good one. Either the book or the movie. My sister recommends this: http://www.historychannel.com.au/tv-shows/813/tony-robinson-explores-australia 'Alice on the Line' would be a worthwhile read if he can find it, and 'For the Term of His Natural Life' is ugly, but a classic for good reason.

I wouldn't say we hate it. But our history education is pretty skimpy. All American kids learn all the presidents. I never once learnt who the Australian Prime Minsters were. I only know the first one because there was an ad back in the 90s about how p Australians don't know their first Prime Minster.

who cares about a list of Aussie prime minsters??? I learned heaps of Aussie history without having to learn about all those boring people 

Book recommendations :

biographies

A Fortunate life  by A. B. Facey,

Over the Top with Jim by Hugh Lunn

Novels

For the Term of HIs Natural Life

A Town Like Alice

explorers to look up

Burk and Wills

Try Jackie French's Fair Dinkum Histories. There are 5 or 6 of them, aimed at about year 7 reading level, so he should be able to chew through them quickly. They are humorous but pithy and the author doesn't mince words when she tells both sides of a story. The books span pre1788 and white invasion, through to modern Australia. If he read them he'd have a better grounding in Australian history than lots of Aussies

If he has the time and inclination, he could watch The First Australians, a frank and gruelling miniseries about the treatment of Indigenous Australians.

Read anything (except perhaps the Buggalugs Bum Thief) by Tim Winton, a superb Perth-based author. Cloudstreet is probably his best known.

Things to check on Wiki: cricket, Aussie Rules, mining boom in Western Australia, ANZAC, sharks

Perth isn't like lots of Australia. While it has a penal colony past, it's geographic isolation has meant that it developed its own identity. It is a recent boom town: lots of new wealth and "immigrants" from the eastern states. Perth is buzzing, but it has more than its fair share of Indigenous poverty. Be prepared to see that on the streets.

Place to go: Kings Park, Fremantle, Margaret River, the Kimberly,

Listen to some good Aussie music: in loose chronological order (and showing my age): AC/DC, Cold Chisel, INXS, Powderfinger, John Butler (Perth-based), Angus and Julia Stone, Gotye, Megan Washington, Busby Marou,