Menu

History Question

My3girls

If you are using the Story of the World or OUP for World History, when do you teach American History? Do you wait until it aligns with the World History curriculum or do you treat it as a separate subject? If you treat it as a separate subject, does it confuse them chronologically or do they make the connections ok?

Dd7&8 are in SotW1, and dd12 is in the second OUP The World in Ancient Times series. With the youngers, we have been reading some of the D'Alaire biographies just so they have some American history. Part of me is really struggling with the idea that we won't get to American history for another 2 years or better if I stick with the chronological plan.

You will get to some north American history soon enough you just won't get to US history until you get the the period in which the US exists. From my reading of TWTM this is intentional to keep the US content proportional to its place in world history.

I stopped the cycle in the logic stage and began studing US history.  I toss in tidbits of World History as it directly relates to the colonies or the country.  I use History of Us with a more analytical approach.  I felt a good view of history before the US history class in high school was needed.  We will study US history before government and economics.  I am going to focus on geography and cultures for the ninth year, which will be year eight for us.  We are not on grade level with most subjects. 

Each of my kids did the world history cycle from 1st-4th (my youngest is in SOTW 2), then did two years of US History in 5th and 6th. They travel a lot with their grandparents, so they studied the history of the places where they travelled in 7th and 8th. In high school, we did a year of world history and a year of US history.

I'm waiting until next year (7th/8th grade) and plan to do a 2 year US History and corresponding American literature focus for history and English.  In the elementary years, we studied Ancients for two years, the middle ages in Europe for one year and the renaissance in Europe for one year. This year we're working on world history (with a non-western focus) and adding in literature, art, music, cooking that goes along with each culture.  We have used OUP for almost all of our history study.

I like the 2-year idea.  I had been wondering how to fit it all into this year.  I may do the same as the poster above and split it.  I did the last time around.  I coordinate lit as well.  Thus, we are on the Crucible with the pilgrims and puritans.  :)  It makes it much, much more fun.