Menu

All About Spelling ... magnets for letter tiles

SS in MD

I was about to purchase AAS level 1 set & tiles for dd (grade 2) and I was wondering if the magnets for the tiles are necessary? (trying to save some money!) Do they make using the tiles easier? How do you store the tiles? I'd love to hear any opinions- thanks!

They were not available when I first bought AAS. I ordered level 4 recently and decided to purchase them. So far they are making things easier as both DS hated setting the tiles back up every time. It is easier to slide the tiles around than without the magnets. We have a small magnetic wipe board that I hung up in a corner and keep our tiles there. If you want to save money someone recently posted that you can use magnetic tape. I am not crafty so I had no idea there was such a thing.

HTHs,

Patricia,

Thanks for the info. I thought it might be better to have them. I noticed in your post your older dc are using PH Earth Sci and young is doing Earth Sci w/olders. Can you tell me how you are doing this? I considering doing the same, but with Life Science. What PH books do I need (TE, Student... anything else?), best place to buy (cheapest!), also, most specificially, what text are you using for the younger?

I have REAL Science Life for younger (7 yo). I don't know if this would match up with PH Life...

I'm also considering, having older dc (10 yo) just doing human body unit with 7 yo, then go off on her own and spend the rest of the year doing physics, since she hasn't studied that yet (don't know what text or specifics for that!...) I'm really confused... thanks for any help you can give

I am afraid I am a science failure. I am not an experiments mom and my children seem to be. This will be our first time through any earth science. I have no actually started lessons in it yet as our scheduled start date is Monday. Those are my plans however. What I am thinking will happen is that I will read the section aloud to all of them. DD needs to read it for herself, but my other two prefer to hear it. We will discuss it and then the older two will go off to answer the section questions on their own. I will then make sure younger son understood what was going on but I don't feel any need to go deeper than that with him. I will allow him to watch a United Streaming video (probably MSB or Bill Nye) on the topic and call it a day with him. Nothing really formal with him yet. He is still struggling to read and I rather our efforts be focused there.

As for what to buy, I have the student text book and the Study Guides (workbooks). I don't need the teacher's guide or anything else. I purchased my copies from Amazon used. There really is no need to buy new from PH. Get a recent but not the most recent edition and you will be fine. I believe ours are 2003 editions. I wrote out plans that will tell me when an experiment will happen so I can buy anything they will need ahead of time. I did buy some rock and mineral kits and a build a volcano kit to make them happy. We are not doing many of them as I mentioned I don't really care for the mess. (I know I am a bad mom!)

I will add that the only reason I am combining all three here is because Earth Science is suppose to be the easiest of all the books. I don't think my youngest would be able to handle the Life Science book. We used LLB this past year and none of us enjoyed it. I thought about Pandia Press's Earth Science but like I said before I rather focus on his reading one more year.

For us, the magnets and a magnet white-board make the program! We store all our tiles on the magnet board (got a 2' X 3' one at Walmart for $15). Totally worth it. It's much easier than setting the tiles up each time you use it (I did try without for a few days), yet the kids still get to alphabetize the tiles when they put them back after using.

Enjoy! Merry :-)

I also bought the AAS before the magnet tiles and my dc didn't like having to set them up and I grew weary of putting them all away. So when I bought the next level, I got them. They make using the system so much easier! They are such a time saver. If you can find them cheaper then of course go for it, but I think they are a blessing to have.

We don't have the program, but our dollar store sells strips of magnetic tape!

I actually put magnetic paint in DS10's room a few years ago. I honestly don't remember if it was cheap or expensive (got it at Home Depot), but it was SO worth it! Until we eventually get the house on the market and I'll feel required to sand it down. Ick.

Thanks everyone! Sounds like the magnets are great to have and a time-saver too! thanks! Can AAS only be purchased through the publisher website (www.allaboutspelling.com)?? thanks again.

Yes, the only place to purchase AAS is their site. And they don't plan to be at any conventions this year...at least the last time I checked their site, that was the info.

We've just started the program, but I do think having the magnets and board are going to make the program for us. (And with any luck, the letters won't be disappearing off the board!)

(And with any luck, the letters won't be disappearing off the board!)

LOL! This is my fear, too. :lol: My dd has already "rearranged" the green cards around the school room.

We've just started and it's been GREAT! Although the little round plastic pieces have gone missing and we had to improvise with faux plastic gems from the craft container. LOL. Ds seems to be enjoying it.

Just a warning about the magnetic tape. I bought the tape at staples a year ago, cut it all up putting it on the back of all the tiles and they kept falling off(the adhesive didn't stick well enough). It was so frustrating. I finally went to a craft store and bought the flat sheets of magnets and they work beautifully.

Ann

Just a warning about the magnetic tape. I bought the tape at staples a year ago, cut it all up putting it on the back of all the tiles and they kept falling off(the adhesive didn't stick well enough). It was so frustrating. I finally went to a craft store and bought the flat sheets of magnets and they work beautifully.

Ann

The flat sheets about the size of an index card are what I got in the craft dept. at Walmart for .88 edited to add: the stick seems very secure.

We tried the tiles without magnets. Alphabetizing took too much time. Keeping the materials organized on a magnetic white board makes a 30-45 minute lesson only 15-20 minutes.

We put magnetic tape from Hobby Lobby on the backs of the tiles. The tape doesn't stay sometimes, but I've been able to reattach the tape again without any trouble. I still have 1/2 the roll of tape remaining, so quick replacements are always possible. I'll use hot glue if necessary.:001_smile:

I would have purchesed the magnets from their site, but I am click challenged :tongue_smilie:(I clicked too fast, and won't go back to buy something where the shipping is more than the item.)