Menu

Theater people: I have a question

Hi:  I never participated in theater (much to my regret) as a child, so this is all new to me.  

My dd participates in a local popular musical theater program for kids (generally ages 8 through high school).  Everyone who auditions (and pays a sizable fee) gets a role.  Around 100+ students participate in 2 casts, performing 10 times, 5 performances per cast.  

My daughter auditioned for the first time with this group last fall and earned a smallish role, which she was happy to perform.  She loved the experience.  

However, she was concerned about the number of kids who drop out right after auditions.  These students--presumably--were unhappy with their roles and quit either before or early in rehearsals.  There was some shuffling of roles, but unfortunately, students who did NOT quit in the other casts were often asked to participate in BOTH casts.  That means attending nearly twice as many rehearsals and performing in all 10 performances.  

While part of me feels that if you love theater, you should welcome the opportunity to participate more, it also seems as though the more responsible actors are being punished with excessive time at rehearsals and on stage.  Fortunately this didn't happen to my own dd, but some of her friends had to pick up this slack.  

Is the usual way these things are handled?  

This is a much bigger program than our local program, so I don't know if my experience will be helpful.  Here they just one show at a time with a single cast, the actors do 8 performances over two weekends, generally.  If actors drop out, there is a reshuffling and cast members may take on extra roles, but this doesn't change the number of performances.

I will say, however, that dropping out is very rare.  They really emphasize the commitment and the team aspect of theater up front, and actors are expected to stick with their commitment once they have made one.  This is "enforced" via peer pressure and the fact that if you develop a diva-ish rep, or drop out for a reason other than a real emergency or conflict, you are much less likely to be cast for important roles in future.  It's a small town, and everyone in theater knows each other, so if you want to be future shows, this is something that you care about.

I am heavily involved in community theatre and this does often happen.  I direct a lot and I have a list of actors that I will never cast again because they did something like this to me or to others in our organization.  I don't have the problem of having to double up people in more than one cast but I believe there will always be people that quit when they don't get what they want.  

My son is in a youth theater that sounds similar. We were told that 50% of the kids who audition don't accept roles. That is a LOT of work for the casting people and then they have to do it all over again with the 'reshuffle"

One way they have dealt with this is to have everyone who auditions pay a 50$ audition fee that is a 'down payment' on their tuition.  The company also gives an extremely detailed rehearsal schedule for the entire season before auditions. They understand that unexpected things happen, but if you know the schedule in September, then don't schedule your family vacation for July if you allowed your kid to commit to a play.

My guess is that if someone does commit but then has to withdraw due to a real 'thing' and not just a changed mind, they will happily refund the 50$. It isn't about getting money, but making sure the kids (and their parents) take the commitment seriously.

And my experience is that the actors who are then given more responsibility don't see it as a 'punishment' but a reward. If they don't want the extra part they they can say no and someone else will take it. In theatre there is always someone else who will take the role.  Actors don't see time in rehearsal as excessive or a burden. My son is more likely to see the rest of his life as interfering with rehearsals, lol. If only that darn school and stuff would go away and he could concentrate on what is really important.

And, the kids who do take the abandoned parts are more likely to get bigger parts in the future. They now have more experience and the director knows that actor will come through when needed.

My dd does drama. She's had larger roles and smaller roles. I love when the plays have roles that are similar in lines, etc. Last semester she had one large role and a small role in another group. She attended for 4 months and only practiced her small part twice. I felt it was a waist of time and money from my perspective but it was a valuable lesson in patience and commitment for dd. I did not let her quit because of her part even though I sort of wanted to.

10 performances is a lot.

That's what I was thinking, especially for a non-speaking role.  Now, I don't want to minimize the value of small roles.  (I, for one, value them because they require less rehearsal time!)  My daughter just loves being part of the group and contributing, and she especially loves the social aspect backstage.  But with twice as many rehearsals, that often go late into the night, there's little opportunity to catch up on sleep if you are doing a double-shift, with only one role without lines.  

Weirdly, it appears that the entire leadership of the theater company changes from season to season.  I.e., there is a new producer, choreographer, and director for the winter production than for last fall's production.  So there appears to be no institutional memory of the actors from season to season.  (I could be wrong about this.  We're only in our 2nd season of participation.)  

There is a $50 deposit required to audition, but in this area, $50 doesn't appear to be a significant amount of money.  

Fortunately, my dd's double in the other cast does not appear likely to drop, so we're good.  Theater has been such a great experience for my kids; I wish I had participated when I was a student! 

Your child should not sit there for hours for a small or non-speaking part (past the blocking phase) once they get into rehearsals.  The director should be able to give you a ball park estimate of when she is needed and she should only come for that part.  I taught theatre for 4 years and that is how I would do it.