Menu

Hiring a housekeeper....more questions...tipping

Excelsior! Academy

I may have found a housekeeper.  She comes recommended and has excellent online reviews.  We are technically out of her service area, yet she is still considering cleaning our home.  It is a private, family company.  What are the standards for tipping the owner?  I know with hairdressers it is considered rude to tip the owner.  Is it the same for house cleaners?  I would love to add a bit more for her mileage and trouble, but certainly don't want to insult her.  If I do add a little more, how should I? 

I am a house cleaner. I would not expect to get extra in that situation. I just add it to my bill. For example when I cleaned an hour from home I charged an extra hour to cover my fuel. 

As far as general tipping I only receive tips at Christmas. There is one family that gives me a tip at Christmas and fifty dollars for my birthday.

When it comes to Christmas gifts I prefer the money to the gifts people buy me.  Although I do love getting candy for Christmas as I don't usually buy it for myself.

The only other time I receive tips is when sometimes people ask me to do something extra and I stay longer than my normal time they will give me a little extra. For example if they have me sweep their porch and it takes an extra fifteen minutes. I don't charge extra for that short amount but some people will give extra on their own. 

I only tip the house cleaner at Christmas, and she is the owner of the (very small) business. Her extra mileage and travel time should be in the service contract. If it is not, then she is either not a good businessperson or doesn't consider the extra travel time worth mentioning.

I am usually in the "I tip everyone" camp, but not my house cleaner.  I agree that the extra travel time is built into the price.  I do give a double check at Christmas, which is my standard for regular service providers (babysitters, tutors, hitting coach, etc.) that we have engaged over the years).  If someone has been with us for multiple years, I will do more than a double check at Christmas, but double is my standard.