Menu

Semi-formal clothes for teens - HELP

Swimtaxi234

Both of our children were invited to a friend's quincenanera.  Of course, the big party is this weekend and my children didn't get their invitation until last night.  There were invited last June, but I forgot to put the details on the calendar - so it really is my fault, but now I have to find time to get to the mall to go shopping.

1) What is the "norm" for semi-formal dresses for teenage girls?  Strapless is out of the question.

2) What about for a teenage boy?  My 13-year-old son is 5-foot, 11-inches and hasn't really started growing yet, so I hate to invest in a suit and shoes.  He has a pair of beautiful dark brown leather shoes, but I don't know how to translate that into semi-formal

Help - links and photos would be helpful.

My daughter just got home from her CC classes and has a "boat load" of homework so she didn't have time to chat about clothes and/or know when we could squeeze in the time to go shopping.  Between two classes with me, 7 college hours, swim and water polo practice, CAP meeting, 4 hours volunteer work, and a swim meet this weekend, I don't think she has any free time.

I might have to hit the mall without her and buy a few things.  Hope for the best kind of shopping.   :crying:

Boy: slacks, button shirt, possibly a tie.

Does semi-formal mean black or navy pants?  Can a pleated khaki ever be considered semi-formal?

I would think a pair of flat front khakis with a button down shirt and tie would be fine.  There will be dancing and it will get hot so I wouldn't get a jacket for this.

Your daughter could do a shorter skirt with a sparkly top and heels.  That will work too. Let the family hosting be the most dressy and fabulous.

My daughter just got home from her CC classes and has a "boat load" of homework so she didn't have time to chat about clothes and/or know when we could squeeze in the time to go shopping.  Between two classes with me, 7 college hours, swim and water polo practice, CAP meeting, 4 hours volunteer work, and a swim meet this weekend, I don't think she has any free time.

I might have to hit the mall without her and buy a few things.  Hope for the best kind of shopping.   :crying:

Does semi-formal mean black or navy pants?  Can a pleated khaki ever be considered semi-formal?

I would not consider khaki for a semi-formal event. But, a lot of people misuse the term. I would actually call and ask what the friend will be wearing and what is expected for boys.

Thanks!  I feel like a fashion idiot because I don't know what teens wear to parties.  My children tend to only go to athletic-based parties so they are never dressed up.  Our Church is super casual too.

Anyway, I just raced up to Kohl's and if I had seen the "blue" dress in the above link, I would have bought it because it is super cute and the color would be great on my daughter - just saw that they are on-line only dresses.  RATS!  

I would not consider khaki for a semi-formal event. But, a lot of people misuse the term. I would actually call and ask what the friend will be wearing and what is expected for boys.

I agree about the khaki.  My daughter just told me that the birthday girl said "anything you would wear to a nice dinner out".  ??? That is not my definition of semi-formal.  I will send her mother an email since I won't see her before the party.

My daughter and I loved the blue dress, so I ordered it.  Even with priority shipping, it wouldn't get here in time thanks to the big snowstorm, but my daughter will have it for another event.

If she still fits in Justice clothes, they might have something.  They have lots of sparkly dresses online.  They call them Girls Party Dresses.  Many have sleeves.

http://www.shopjustice.com/girls-clothing/hot-shops/dressy-shop/dresses

Sparkly might be an important component of dressy-party-fying a dress, if your dd is not opposed to sparkles.