Menu

Before you pursue this, are you certain there is a comprehension problem? Has your DD taken this type of standardized test before? How does she do when she reads something and you ask questions/discuss afterwards?

I ask only so you might consider whether the issue was the testing format, rather than a comprehension problem. DS also did rather poorly on comprehension exercises, until I discovered that he thought you were only allowed to look at a passage once before answering the questions. It didn't occur to me to explain that you can refer back to the passage as you answer!

Best wishes.

I use old NY state Regents exams to practice those sorts of skills.

http://www.nysedregents.org/

If she is pretty good then try the high school level "Comprehensive English". If you think that is too challenging, then try the intermediate level (grades 6-8) "English Language Arts" or even the elementary levels. Sometimes a little practice with the format is all that is needed.

The tests have reading comprehension as well as parts the teacher reads to the student.

If you don't like those, then there is always "Reading Detective"