Menu

How to handle auto insurance dispute?

Brilliant

The neighbor's son backed into my dh' new-ish truck (it's one year old).  They offered to pay out of pocket for it instead of filing insurance, so my husband got 3 quotes.  All of the shops said that the side panel should be replaced, not repaired, and quoted >$2k.  When presented with those figures, the neighbor decided to file through their insurance.  But now their insurance adjuster has said the panel can/must be repaired, and authorized cost of under $1400.

We have no idea what to do next.  I don't know how to fight someone else's insurance.  Do we file through our own and let them fight it out for us?  Contact the insurance commissioner?  ??

Yes, call your insurance company and talk to them about the issue.  Our insurance would send an adjuster (or have us bring it in) to get their own opinion and then hash it out with the other company.

Of course, if your adjuster agrees with the other company, you may be stuck getting just the $1400 for the repair.

Call your insurance company ASAP, they can mediate.... Our's requires a phone call within 24 hours of the incident unless we are incapacitated due to the accident. For the future, always call your insurance company, even if the other guy doesn't want you too...........

My understanding is the body shops mark it up high when they know it is a insurance company paying.

When my vehicle needed repairing they quoted a price then told me they would work with whatever the insurance adjuster said. I don't remember the exact figure but the body shop ended up coming down a couple hundred. It might be worth it to take the adjusters quote to the shop.  I know our adjuster went and talked to the shop himself in my situation. 

OK, we are going to call the insurance company. (ours).  I've been searching online for info, and apparently we have no recourse (mediation, etc) with an insurance company that's not ours, except to sue.

One thing my hubby is going to try first:  We are supposed to take the estimate to the body shop of our choice, and then they get reimbursed directly by the insurance company.  If they have any questions before they start the work, they are supposed to call the insurance company to work it out.  So, my hubby thinks the body shop might be able to convince them "it can't be fixed this way."  He'll head over to one this afternoon.

My understanding is the body shops mark it up high when they know it is a insurance company paying.

When my vehicle needed repairing they quoted a price then told me they would work with whatever the insurance adjuster said. I don't remember the exact figure but the body shop ended up coming down a couple hundred. It might be worth it to take the adjusters quote to the shop.  I know our adjuster went and talked to the shop himself in my situation. 

We were posting at the same time - yes, we're going to talk to the shop. :)