Menu

Does this exist: DVDs (or online) elementary science program taught by professional(s) complete with lecture, experiments, tests, etc.?

Alia_in_FL

For those ages, one of the science packages sold by Sonlight might work.  Here's a link to their Science D package, which is geared to ages 7 - 10.  If you need secular materials for science, you can secularize Sonlight science by skipping the one book in the package that is written from a Christian viewpoint and the related Christian-viewpoint comments in the TM.  The other books in the package are secular.  (We're secular homeschoolers and used it this way with no issues.)

The package I linked includes the TOPS labs for "Radishes" and "Corn and Beans", which are two of the best TOPS sets I've ever used.  I bet your kids would enjoy them too.

The Discover and Do DVDs coordinate with the TOPS science books and supply kits for hands-on labs.  On the DVDs, the presenter demonstrates and explains all the steps of the labs.  Even if your kids don't actually do the labs themselves, they can learn by watching the presenter.  There's no formal lecturing in this program, but there is learning via reading the various books in the package.  (Note that the Discover and Do weekly labs do not always directly tie in to that week's reading material, but that never bothered us, especially considering the age level.)  I don't remember it having any formal tests (could be wrong), but there are worksheets you could use that way if you wanted to.  The only component you have to buy directly from Sonlight is the TM, unless you buy a used version.  The TM is mainly just a schedule, worksheets, and answer key.  I bought all the other components I needed on the used market or directly from the source (i.e., TOPS).

We are using BJU DVD for 5th grade and I can be as hands on/off as I need/want to be.  It is heavily Christian (which we like but some may not).  I do have to print the quizzes.  You could have the quizzes and test ready then the day it calls for it-give it to the child.  All DVD curriculums come with a DVD video guide--it tells you everything for each day: video #, Student Text pages, Activity Manual pages, when a quiz is, when a test is, etc.... You can just follow it. If your student is independent, they could really do all of it themselves.  She does   most activities/experiments on the DVD too.  I usually skip the few days that are "activity only" that have no video and are extra experiments.  It is overkill.  It is a great program, engaging and fun for my child. He really likes it.  You can buy subject only kits:  but they are pricey:  I think $339 for everything: you lease the dvds for 13 months then return, but keep all books, etc... They also have a reuse fee--so if you have another student in the grade behind them( like I have a 5th grader this year and one that is currently in 4th, then I only pay a re-use fee (I can't remember how much but it is much less than $339, I think like $150).  I would only buy the work text if my previous student wrote in it.   I hope this helps some!

K12 is public virtual school. Most states have one.

K12 is a curriculum package that is used by some virtual public schools, but homeschoolers can purchase courses directly from them without enrolling in a public school (or any school).  You then use it just like you would any resource.

Here's a link:  K12

(scroll down to find their science courses)

K12 is a curriculum package that is used by some virtual public schools, but homeschoolers can purchase courses directly from them without enrolling in a public school (or any school). You then use it just like you would any resource.

Here's a link: K12

(scroll down to find their science courses)

How can one view samples of the k12 program? Every time I try to find out more info I get a screen asking for my life story. I do not want them calling me.

How can one view samples of the k12 program? Every time I try to find out more info I get a screen asking for my life story. I do not want them calling me.

Try this.

Also, you can input fake information in that screen that asks for all that stuff. 

If you want to see the lessons in more detail, you can call them and ask for a demo account (at least you used to be able to do this--I haven't tried it in a few years).  It allows you to see almost all of the lessons they offer for a limited time.