Menu

ETC finished bk 3 - wait or continue?

SereneHome

So my son FINALLY finished book 3 in ETC (we are doing it on line).  He tried starting book 4 but it seems to me it kind of went really fast from book 3 to 4.  I am not really sure he mastered all the vowels blends, etc

I just got AAS1 for him and was thinking if we should stop with ETC for a bit so he could kind of catch up or something.

Our subscription expires at the beginning of May and I really didn't want to renew it, but I don't want to rush him either.

Should teaching how to read really take this long (we have been doing it on an off for a few months)?

Should I start giving him easy books to read?  He really hasn't read anything except what he is reading in ETC.

I am really not sure where to go from here.

Advice please!!

I have no advice but I wanted to say I've been teaching my girls reading for 2 years. You asked how long was normal. Mind you, my girls are a special case and have some issues. I know I'd love if I could fully teach them in a few months. I know some do learn that quickly but that wasn't/isn't the case with any of mine.

Best wishes!

I'd start with easy books and see how that goes.

You might also look at Progressive Phonics (http://www.progressivephonics.com/).  It's free, and my kids are enjoying it.  I like the approach of the parent reading some words and the child reading others rather than having stories written solely with words the child has already learned the phonics rules for.  You can extend that approach to any books, although it's really nice that Prog. Phonics uses a different typeface to point out the words the child should read.

Learning to read has been a long road for my 7yo as well.  She's made great progress, but still hasn't reached the point where reading feels easy or enjoyable.  I do lots of reading aloud and we use some audiobooks, and her understanding keeps growing.

He didn't like Progressive Phonics at all.

He is my oldest and I've never tried to teach anyone to read, especially in English, so don't have a point of reference.

I know I am being too cheap in just not wanting to renew the subscription, but urghhh, I didn't think it was going to be such a lengthy process

The problem would be that if you're doing the online version, at least when we tried it, it can decide to kick you down to whatever level it thinks you need.  Meaning that it can send him back to level 4.  With the books, it's fine to skip 4 and come back to it because 5 covers different skills.  Not sure what will happen with the online version...

There's also the half books to consider. If Book 4 seems too much you could just work in the 3 1/2 book. I don't know if that's an option with online. But the workbooks are so inexpensive I wouldn't really hesitate at picking one up. 

Also I would add in books such as Bob Books and other beginning readers of that sort while doing ETC. Also easy books such as Dr Seuss and so on. 

I pretty much let my beginning readers attempt anything we have on hand. My 6 year old tackled Caps For Sale recently.