Menu

SOTW vs. MOH

I would love to do history reading 2 days a week with a third day for maps/activities and extra reading. I want something that  has a MP3 or audio. I want something from a Christian POV. I am leaning towards MOH mainly for the Christian POV, but I like that SOTW is only 2 days and MOH is 3 days. If you chose one of these two options, could you please share why you chose the one you did? Thanks!

MOH isn't finished. That is a big deal to me.

MOH 1, which is the only volume I have seen, is a LOT of Bible stories. That makes a powerful impression on children, to have the Bible stories integrated into their history book.

MOH 1 has a very different timeline from SOTW 1.

I don't have a preference. The series are just different. But... I teach history as nothing but a STORY, so...well, that is a topic from another thread that got a bit heated, and I don't want to dredge that up here. :lol:

I picked SOTW mainly because it's finished.

We are currently listening to MOH Vol. 1 on cd.  The year began with History Revealed Vol. 1, but the author's voice was too grating.  We listen to it once a week during an hour long drive.  Probably at least 4-5 lessons per drive.  For us, we seem to be able to accomplish more than I anticipate when we use audio vs. Mom reading aloud.

I've mulled over the same thing for quite a while. I do like that MOH integrates Biblical and Church history. It is definitely more of a Christian point of view on history. But, ultimately, several things caused me to choose SOTW (along with the History Lives series for Church history and a book on Jewish history added in for the ancients year) over MOH for our 1st time through the history cycle.

• MOH isn't complete. The date keeps getting pushed back. I don't want to start something that doesn't bring us through the entire cycle.
  • SOTW is better for lower elementary (which is where my kids are)
  • I looked at both and like the writing style in SOTW better than MOH.

Your kids are older than mine. If my kids were older, the middle point would swing me more toward MOH. I suggest taking a look at the samples. The writing styles are pretty different, and that may help sway you one way or the other.

The fact that MOH isn't finished is a biggie to me as we will be in year 3 this fall. I don't want to finish year 3 and be stuck. We are using Biblioplan right now and year 3 isn't finished either.I really do love SOTW. We used it when my older kids were younger. I just want Bible and Church history too, without doing it myself LOL

I've mulled over the same thing for quite a while. I do like that MOH integrates Biblical and Church history. It is definitely more of a Christian point of view on history. But, ultimately, several things caused me to choose SOTW (along with the History Lives series for Church history and a book on Jewish history added in for the ancients year) over MOH for our 1st time through the history cycle.

• MOH isn't complete. The date keeps getting pushed back. I don't want to start something that doesn't bring us through the entire cycle.
  • SOTW is better for lower elementary (which is where my kids are)
  • I looked at both and like the writing style in SOTW better than MOH.

Your kids are older than mine. If my kids were older, the middle point would swing me more toward MOH. I suggest taking a look at the samples. The writing styles are pretty different, and that may help sway you one way or the other.

Well, there are other ways to do Church History--you could just go thru Trial and Triumph, or 100 Christian Events (that's not the title, but it's something like that!). 

I had ds just read his bible devotionally (high school) and then added a world religions course and a couple of Paul Little books--so you could wait on some of that theo and hist until later. For dd, we used Positive Action for Christ for 4th grade. It was easy and really good, and gave a bit of early church history by looking at some of the Pauline writings in the bible (it was basically NTestament). 

Year 3 is Early Mods, right? IDK what MOH does with that period. Honestly, it's not that hard to just add another book and not require a ton of output.