Menu

Rice and Beans?

roanna

So does no one have....um...gastric distress when eating alot of beans?

I'm late to this, but I've found that adding a piece of kombu to the beans while they are cooking both helps with this issue while also helping the beans to cook quicker. I've also read that the quick soak method (boil beans briefly, let sit for an hur or whatever, draining off the soaking liquid, and then cooking the beans in fresh water) is amongone of the most effective ways to reduce the problematic carbohydrate.

Otherwise, you can always try Beano.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I eat a lot of rice and beans. In my case, it is brown rice and different beans. Most beans are healthier when sprouted - you don't have to fully sprout them if you are not inclined to do so. You can soak them overnight and that starts the germination process. When soaked, the insoluble sugars in the beans (which cause most of the "gastric distress") are transformed by the germination process into easily digestible simple starches. And be sure to pour away and wash off thoroughly the water used for soaking - these contain those insolubel sugars too and need to be washed away. I cook beans in my pressure cooker.

I make a lot of Indian inspired bean dishes and Mexican dishes (soaking is not advisable for those red kidney beans  used in mexican dishes - they get a toxin in them when soaked, so be sure to cook them by boiling them in hot water and then draining them and then boiling again.)

When I make a bean dish, I soak a lot, cook them and bag them and freeze them for later. I pull out a bag of cooked beans and make a dish for dinner. We eat them with brown rice which I mix with quinoa and cook. Other tips for avoiding "gastric distress" are: start with less beans initially and then build up - one way to do this is to mix in a lot of veggies like carrots, squash etc into your bean dish. Another way to increase digestibility of the dish is to add sauteed minced ginger and garlic to these dishes - they act as a digestive aid.

I sprout or soak the following beans - dry green or yellow peas, garbanzo, black eyed peas, moong beans, pinto beans and black beans. Another advantage to sprouting beans is that I have a ziploc bag full of fresh, healthy veggies (which the sprouted beans are) without any prep work of cutting, dicing etc - and they are extremely healthy too.

Sometimes, I steam the sprouted beans and add them to my green salad. I also make an easy Hummus when I cook a big batch of garbanzo beans.

I also cook a lot of Indian lentils in my pressure cooker in addition to beans to make soups and dals and stews.

If you have a warehouse club near you, they have great deals for huge bags of beans, brown rice and quinoa.

Good luck.

Could you share this recipe.  I used to be vegetarian but can no longer eat soy.  

Sure, here it is - there is a regular and a gluten free version: http://veggieconverter.com/2011/01/whole-food-vegetarian-ground-beef-substitute-recipe.html

I copied and pasted the link but it does not seem to be showing up as a link so you may have to cut and paste it.