Menu

Pre-algebra workbook style

My ds just finished Singapore 6B before break. He is also working through CLE 6. He isn't what I would consider a strong math student (hence the two programs -- one spiral and one mastery). He tends to forget what he learns unless he sees it over and over and over . . .I usually go to Russian Math 6 after Singapore, but he specifically asked for a workbook style -- he loved that Singapore had lots of white space and fewer problems.. I was thinking we could do some pre-algebra or algebra light before hitting algebra (he's in 6th grade), and I would like it to be a mastery type program since CLE takes care of the spiral part.  I have used Dolciani Algebra for my other 3 students. So far, I have come up with Keys to Algebra and TT Algebra.  From looking at the samples, it looks like TT Algebra workbook could be written in -- is that true? And am I right in thinking I could just buy the TT workbook without the CDs and teach him the lessons? Are there any other strong pre-algebra or light algebra programs that I should consider? Thanks in advance.

Martha

Math U See has workbooks.  Key to Algebra is a series of workbooks.  It doesn't have the great big review of arithmetic that most prealgebra programs have though.  Lial's Basic College Math has some versions that are sort of like a workbook in that the pages are perforated and there is some space to work problems. 

Or you could do what I do and just copy problems for him from whatever the best resource for him would be and leave lots of space.

Thanks everyone. I think his basic arithmetic skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, decimals, and fractions) are okay. He's probably a little bit weak in percents, and he has only briefly been exposed to negative numbers. Can MUS be used without the videos? I've seen Lial's Basic College Math -- it seemed kind of cluttered to me. I decided not to go with Horizons because it is spiral, kind of like his CLE. No one has chimed in about Teaching Textbooks -- would that work, do you think?

Martha

Derek Owens has a pre-algebra course at lucideducation.com - the student watches videos and takes notes in a student worktext and then does homework and chapter/semester tests which may be printed out and graded by a parent. His more advanced math classes are handled a little differently - the student scans and sends Derek homework and exams which he sends back graded (quickly). My older dd was well prepared for college math by taking several courses with Derek.