Menu

University of Florida?

We live locally. I would consider UF to be homeschool friendly. However, they do require outside validation to parent grading. As a homeschooler, your test scores are vital (and parent grades generally ineffectual.) Along with a good ACT or SAT score, you will need to provide either SAT II scores, DE credits or FLVS credits. Do you live anywhere near? The UF dual enrollment policy is one of the best in the state. My dd is there as a DE student and loves it. 

I don't consider UF to be homeschool friendly. It is the only school that any of my kids applied to that has required FOUR SAT subject tests of homeschoolers. A student can only take up three SAT II tests at a time, which means they must use two testing dates to get these tests done, instead of perhaps retaking the SAT I to improve scores. I'm sorry, but I think that is a bit much. I suspect that many homeschoolers don't even bother applying there because of the extra requirements. There are many top-tier schools that have no such requirement. Of course, if your child does FLVS or dual enrollment, it's not an issue. But then, is that REALLY homeschooling? (Sorry, but I just had to say it)

I don't consider UF to be homeschool friendly. It is the only school that any of my kids applied to that has required FOUR SAT subject tests of homeschoolers. A student can only take up three SAT II tests at a time, which means they must use two testing dates to get these tests done, instead of perhaps retaking the SAT I to improve scores. I'm sorry, but I think that is a bit much. I suspect that many homeschoolers don't even bother applying there because of the extra requirements. There are many top-tier schools that have no such requirement. Of course, if your child does FLVS or dual enrollment, it's not an issue. But then, is that REALLY homeschooling? (Sorry, but I just had to say it)

Yes. Yes it is.

I think the key with UF is knowing about those additional requirements for homeschoolers well ahead of time.  Dd had taken her math and foreign language via FLVS so we were good there, and I found out about the subject test/FLVS/DE requirement in the fall of her junior year, so I made sure she had two classes in the social sciences via DE before application time came around.  The only subject test she had to take was for science, and since she took Physics in her junior year, that was the test she took.  Had I known about it earlier, I would have had her take the Biology or Chemistry tests after she completed those classes, but we were stuck with Physics and she did fine.  A minimum score of 550 is all that is required.

It's true that UF doesn't get many homeschool applicants.  When we visited last year, we were told that they had 30 homeschoolers apply the previous year.  30, out of something like 10,000 applicants.   If I remember correctly, they accepted less than half of those (12 sticks in my mind but numbers are not my forte).  So if they require the subject tests as a weed-out, it's working, because as a state Florida has plenty of homeschoolers. 

That didn't stop us from applying, because Gainesville is not too far away from us, UF is a decent school (and certainly a good deal tuition-wise for Florida residents), and they have dd's intended major.  Decisions are not announced until mid-February so we wait.  Dd is an excellent student with strong test scores, but there are all kinds of UF rejection stories, so who knows.

UF's admission counselor specializing in home educated applicants is Sandra Hayden.  She is very helpful.

Thank you everyone. Sounds like a mixed bag. We still have a few years to think about the routes we want to go. I'm assuming we'll do some type of DE for sciences anyway. 

However, some of the moms here (oh, we are in West Palm Beach) were saying that a lot of the colleges are starting to frown upon dual enrollment because they miss out on that tuition from undergrads. Reading UF's transfer admissions page makes them seem very unfriendly toward any transfer credits. 

I'm still trying to figure this all out. UF seems like a great school and it's extremely affordable, so it might be worth jumping through a few of their hoops if she has any chance of getting in at all. 

I don't consider UF to be homeschool friendly. It is the only school that any of my kids applied to that has required FOUR SAT subject tests of homeschoolers.

I never thought of it this way, but you have a point. 

Ds has lots of DE credit, so UF's policy never bothered me (not that we applied).  I was comparing it to Emory which requires 3 SAT II from hs'ers even if they have 60+ DE credits.  That is homeschool unfriendly to me.  :tongue_smilie:

MIT doesn't even have special requirements for homeschoolers. I mean, good grief! Who does UF think they are? I believe it's just laziness on the part of UF admissions. They don't want to take the time or consideration to look at unconventional means of education. No innovative or out-of-the-box thinking there.

MIT doesn't even have special requirements for homeschoolers. I mean, good grief! Who does UF think they are? I believe it's just laziness on the part of UF admissions. They don't want to take the time or consideration to look at unconventional means of education. No innovative or out-of-the-box thinking there.

I would imagine they think they are a public, state university with approximately 30% more applicants than MIT and no where near the admissions resources. They aren't going to interview 25,000+ applicants. A small number of students will really stand out, but truly at a state university the majority of the students will look very, very similar on paper. They need to have the ability to weed more than half the applicants. I agree, they aren't innovative or out-of-the-box when it comes to admissions. They are what they are - a large state university. There are colleges known for more innovative admissions (like MIT) for homeschoolers looking for a more out-of-the-box college experience.

I understand, Melissa. Although the other universities in the FL state university system (at least the ones we have dealt with) have no such additional requirements for homeschoolers. UF can do what they want. I am just addressing the question of whether they are home school friendly. Many home educators in the not-too-distant past fought for the right to teach their own children at home and for their kids to be able to gain admission to college without a diploma from an outside source. As a result, many home schooled children, including my own, have been accepted to top universities with scholarships to pay the way. They have done extremely well in college and have graduated with top honors. Colleges that will not consider an applicant who has been entirely taught at home (as opposed to those who have done DE or online classes) are missing out on some exceptional students. It is their loss.

That being said, if the OP's daughter truly wants to major in veterinary medicine at UF, she will have to jump through some hoops as a homeschooler. If she dual-enrolls or does FLVS, it will be easier for her to get in.

I also find it rather odd that a student who has home schooled in accordance with the FL state law, and who is eligible for the Bright Futures Academic Scholarship (which used to pay 100% of tuition and fees, plus a stipend for books -- before all the cuts to the program) is not considered eligible to be admitted to UF without other documentation.

Admissions requirements can and do change. With a 10 year old what I'd focus on is long term having an academic plan for a solid four years of core academics. As your student heads into high school you can make a testing plan as well.

As I said things may change, but to me right now what is most notable about University of Florida is that the Florida legislature has put policies in place to push for graduation in four years. These excess hours policies include penalties of increased tuition rates for students who do not complete on time - so over 120 credits and you can be looking at doubled tuition. So there is much less room for students to change their major or double major. Right now credits earned in high school through dual enrollment or as a result of APs do not count against this total. So, going in with some dual enrollment or AP credit could make it much easier to graduate on time.

I also find it rather odd that a student who has home schooled in accordance with the FL state law, and who is eligible for the Bright Futures Academic Scholarship (which used to pay 100% of tuition and fees, plus a stipend for books -- before all the cuts to the program) is not considered eligible to be admitted to UF without other documentation.

Hmm, I didn't think homeschoolers were eligible for the BFAS. Off to Google!

Hmm, I didn't think homeschoolers were eligible for the BFAS. Off to Google!

Yes, they are! I've had 3 so far receive it. Number 4 is in Annapolis at the US Naval Academy ( which BTW didn't require SAT subject tests), and my 5th is eligible - not sure yet where he will be going, although he has some acceptances under his belt.

Yes, they are! I've had 3 so far receive it. Number 4 is in Annapolis at the US Naval Academy ( which BTW didn't require SAT subject tests), and my 5th is eligible - not sure yet where he will be going, although he has some acceptances under his belt.

Awesome!

OK, on their site it says we have to submit transcripts, but that parent-generated transcripts are not accepted. ??

• 8 years later...

Has anyone here who homeschools had their child accepted to the University of Florida? My daughter has wanted to be a veterinarian since she was 4 and UF is the only option in Florida, but it seems extremely difficult for homeschoolers to get in. I would like to know if anyone has succeeded and how they did it. Thank you.

32 minutes ago, Rob Sheer said:

Has anyone here who homeschools had their child accepted to the University of Florida? My daughter has wanted to be a veterinarian since she was 4 and UF is the only option in Florida, but it seems extremely difficult for homeschoolers to get in. I would like to know if anyone has succeeded and how they did it. Thank you.

There have definitely been homeschoolers accepted to UF. Keep in mind that this thread is nearly a decade old. 

Test scores are key at all the Florida publics. The success formula for Florida is going to be using some FLVS or dual enrollment for key subjects and getting a top SAT score. I would reach out to admissions and ask to talk to them. They'll tell you what they're looking for.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rob Sheer said:

It's difficult for anyone to get in these days. My dd got in as a homeschooler and I've known several other homeschoolers as well. It has not been my experience that it is any more difficult for homeschoolers than schooled kids at any of the Florida universities. For homeschoolers, test scores and dual enrollment credits are key as they will not give any weight to a GPA generated by a parent. They say they do not give more consideration to students that dual enroll with UF, but I'm not sure. My dd did some of her dual enrollment through them. If you are in Florida but not near the university they have online dual enrollment classes. If your daughter is prepared for dual enrollment, a couple of online classes through UF couldn't hurt. Good luck!