Menu

Distributive property. Is it common....

AimeeM

I don't know if it is "common" or not, but I would think that the answer would depend on the age of the child.  For the younger kids, I think that OOP makes a lot more sense.  However, as the kids get older and begin to segue into pre-algebra/algebra, I can understand why a teacher would require a student to use the distributive property.  The teacher probably wants to make sure that the student understands the distributive property with actual numbers before introducing variables.

I required it from DS when he was learning the distributive property. I also made him factor.

15+25= 5*(3+5) = 40

AoPS Pre-Algebra had several problems that were easier to solve when the distributive property was used. After DS "proved" the distributive property multiple times with numbers, simplifying equations with single variables was easy for him.

I could see insisting on it if you are teaching the distributive property. Since it's an easy problem, they may be able to understand it better than a harder type later. When we did long division here, I had my kids use it even on the ones they could do in there head. That way they could focus on learning the process, and easily see how it worked.

Is it common for a teacher to require students to use distributive property with problems that have no variables?

In other words, for a problem like this:

5 (3+5)

... requiring that they use distributive property to solve it - not OOP?