Menu

I can feel the stress levels increasing

momofkhm

My IL moved down over last weekend.  Well sort of.  FIL was in the hospital for a week and they released him to rehab down here.  So MIL moved down.  Since then my days have been filled with frantic mornings to get school to a point I could leave, take MIL to FIL, visit for 1/2 hour then off to work.  Pick MIL up on the way home, feed her dinner and then someone takes her to her apartment.  I can not express how happy I am that none of us are spending the night with her since she is there all alone!

Then yesterday a nurse tells MIL that FIL doesn't have long to live.  This morning she put it as one foot in the grave.  So beyond all the immediate things that of course causes, she can't afford the apartment she just signed for if he's gone.

Then at some point my parents said they were coming down.  I swear I don't remember the conversation.  So I've been playing it by ear figuring they wouldn't be here long.  Nope.  They are coming on Dec 26 and leaving Dec 29 or 30.  I love my mom and dad.  But with her telling me I *need* to get my MIL out of dinners with us and I need to do this and I need to do that.  

But then also, mom said she'd go over and help me unpack the IL apartment.  I go and am just so overwhelmed with how much stuff they have.  They downsized from 2000 to 1100 sq ft, but b/c MIL wasn't doing the pacing, people from her church were, EVERYTHING got packed.  So far she hasn't gotten rid of anything.  No sorry one box.  Her cabinets are full!  There is no more space.

And dh is just "done".  He needs a break even more than I do.  But he's not going hunting tomorrow because there is so much to do.  But when I told him he needs and break, oh and so do I, we're taking ds to a chess tourney tomorrow and then having a breakfast date!

Ugh.  This new normal is a hard adjustment.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I might gently recommend that you start your holiday break.... Today!  Put schooling on hold for a week (yes, I know that's hard with high schoolers) and just focus on taking care of yourself and your family. 

If your MIL has the things she needs to get by for now and can maneuver around the apartment, then I suggest putting the unpacking on hold until things are not quite so over whelming.  There really isn't a rush to unpack and sort through things while everything is so up in the air. 

Take care of yourself!

:grouphug: I can only imagine what you are feeling.

Take a deep breath and decide where to begin.  If it were me, I would also put school on vacation and then make an appointment to sit down and talk with your dad's doctor. 

Your mom may or may not want to make another move decision and it's okay for her to wait.  Is there any way for your mom to drive or can you get her a cab or bus pass to help her be in charge of her goings?

I would warn the houseguests that the visit may be an open kitchen and everyone fends for themselves.