Menu

Curriculum question for a friend...

I have a friend who used to babysit my kids when she was a teen.  Absolutely wonderful human being. She has a 4 and 5 year old that she is pulling out of ps at the end of this week to homeschool.  They have VERY little money to spend.  Also, she did not complete High School, but she did get a GED (Mom made her quit school to work full-time to put her brother through college...don't even get me started).  She is intelligent but has had a limited and erratic life, if that makes sense.  Her writing and grammar skills are weak, her math skills are a bit weak and while she can read, she hasn't been exposed to a lot of material.  Her weaknesses, I believe are just from lack of exposure to material and a parent that did not value education for girls.  What she DOES have is a belief in her kids, a strong desire to help them have more opportunities than she did, and an incredible strength of spirit.  She also has a great work ethic.  By the way, I believe her husband is an undiagnosed dyslexic and her 4 year old may be also, but for various reasons evals are not on the near horizon.  

Anyway, I want to help her get curriculum and needed a little advice.  Would it seem like a good idea for me to tutor her kids using Barton Level 1 and maybe Level 2 (if they can pass the screening), then buy her All About Reading/Spelling to use with both kids?  My mom is willing to help cover the cost of the first levels of AAR/AAS.  If we did that, after Barton Level 2 would they move into the pre-reading Level or Level 1 of AAR?  I know with AAS you are supposed to start with Level 1 no matter what, right?  Or should they try starting with the very basic levels of AAR/AAS and not even do Barton unless they struggle?

My friend lives about 45 minutes away, so we could probably only meet twice a week because of gas costs for tutoring.   She doesn't want me to have to tutor long-term since she has to drive so far to get to me or me to her.  She also hates accepting a lot of help.  She does have an odd accent (got bounced around a lot as a kid) so I don't know that she could do Barton effectively on her own or I would lend her my earlier levels for her to do it herself.  I just don't know much about AAR/AAS except that it is popular and apparently OG based...would a funky accent affect her ability to teach AAR/AAS?  She definitely needs something scripted and clearly laid out that doesn't expect a lot of prior knowledge.

For the 4 year old I would just focus on lots of good books from the library, any free hands on classes, activities, etc. she can find in her community (library, recreation department, parks department, mom's groups at church, even Sunday school, AWANA , etc. if she is open to those things).

For the 5 year old, I have never seen or used Barton so can't comment but the I See Sam books are great. www.iseesam.com or www.3rsplus.com You can even get the first 2 sets free in PDF format to either read off the computer or print out. They work well for dyslexic students as well.

If she has good access to a library, maybe help get her a list of good books to read to the kids----from My Father's World, Sonlight, WTM, etc. at their level (start even a bit lower if they haven't been read to a lot). This will help moms reading as well if she has the basic reading skills.

I like Christian Light Education math.

For these ages though and with mom's background I would focus mostly on lots of great hands on learning experiences----helping to cook, clean, shop, bake, garden, build with blocks/legos, puzzles, etc.

Then in about a year or so, I would look at Apples and pears spelling and Dancing Bears for reading. They are both scripted and very easy to use but effective for struggling learners. Those with the the I See Sam readers will keep them busy through 3rd grade.

Then in about a year or so, I would look at Apples and pears spelling and Dancing Bears for reading. They are both scripted and very easy to use but effective for struggling learners. Those with the the I See Sam readers will keep them busy through 3rd grade.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. It's nice to hold the I See Sam books if maybe your mom could purchase them. If you need a free for printing link instead, that is here. The Getting Started link here has how to information, including talking about a notched card to use initially. There is lots of good information on that site.

I think CLE is a good math choice for her situation as well.

Thanks so very much for the suggestions!  Really appreciate the help and I am looking in to all of that.  They do have an overhauled laptop my husband repaired and gave them a few months back, but I don't think their printer is working and I doubt they could afford ink on a regular basis.  I could print stuff for them, though.  I will definitely look at the books and other programs.  Maybe even audio books so they can hear the words pronounced clearly.  

She is a bit brain washed about teaching the kids, though.  The school has convinced her that the kids have to have a set curriculum and a set amount of hours, etc., even though they are really young and the state doesn't require it.  I have been trying gently to help her see that learning occurs in LOTS of different arenas, not just from a textbook (and frequently a lot more than from just a textbook) and the school is misinformed.  So far, not much headway and her husband is not really liking the idea anyway so she has to tread carefully.  Still trying, though.  Wish me luck...

Maybe some games, along with the books...any suggestions on specific games for that age that don't take up much space and she might see as educational?  They live in a very small space.

Also, any good homeschooling books for the very beginner with young children?  I lent out my copies of The First Year of Homeschooling Your Child and Homeschooling for the Rest of Us to another couple and haven't gotten those back yet, but I still have The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling by Debra Bell, which I plan to loan her.  Anything else that might be useful?

Peggy Kaye has some excellent books, Games for Reading, Games for Math, etc. There are samples on her website. They require a bit of energy to organize, but not a college education to do. Libraries often have these books.

Another resource is Jim Trealease's Read Aloud Handbook, which is available in most libraries. He is full of stories of parents who struggled themselves, but did a great job teaching their children. Some of his ideas are so simple, like using closed captioning on TV.

Thanks ladies!   Just talked to my friend again.  We are pulling together a plan she can afford and she will probably come over once a week for tips, advice, support, etc. until she really feels confident.  I think she will be a brilliant home educator, despite her lack of education.  She is intelligent, extremely calm, not easily angered or frustrated, adores her kids, values education and love of life, etc.  She IS concerned about the dyslexia issue but since I am already traveling down that road with both of mine, I am confident we can find a path to success for her ds.

All of your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated....best wishes to you and your families.