Menu

DD's sweet cat is limping...

sheryl

I thought I saw Mocha limping last night and mentioned that to my dh.  He said maybe her leg/paw was asleep.  ?????   Anyway, it's obvious today, Wed, that she is indeed limping. 

Should I ride this out a couple of days?  Not wanting to act premature here I'm thinking this may be a wise choice.  She is laying on the table right now....sunbathing in the window! :)

WWYD?   Thanks.

How old is she?  Is the limping in the front or back?

Could be her claws need trimming or something is wrong with a food pad, as already mentioned.  Could also be the beginnings of arthritis, or that she jumped/landed wrong and pulled/strained a muscle.  On the front end limping is often caused by issues in the "shoulder" area (arthritis, pulled muscle, etc.).  In the rear it can be arthritis or other issues affecting the hips.

Usually with limping pets I do a check of paws and then give it a day or two unless the pet seems to be in more than minor pain.  With young to middle-aged pets the tincture of time usually takes care of the problem.

She is about 6.5 years old.  She was a rescue and the age is approx. but would only vary by about 3-6 months.   She's an indoor only cat and b/c she is a Ragdoll - she is a big cat at 14 lbs.  We're trying to get her to lose weight, but it's hard for an indoor cat.  Her food/water bowls are on top of the dryer which she has always successfully conquered.  My thought was also one of her missing her jump and she fell to the point of hurting herself.  I saw last week she missed her jump and she "re-positioned". 

Question - should I lower her bowls?  I have  them up to keep our dog out of them, give her exercise, and hey, cat's like to jump.  

I'd do something to make the bowls just a wee bit easier for her to get to.  Could you put a step stool beside the dryer so she's got a two-tiered jump instead of one big jump?  And until she stops limping you might want to put them on the floor if you can figure out a way to do that and keep the dog away.  Also, I'd consider keeping a water bowl on floor level for her all the time.  Most cats don't drink nearly as much water as they need, so you really want to make that easily accessible.  Not drinking enough can contribute to kidney and urinary tract issue, which as you probably know are both really common in cats.

I hope the limp clears up soon.  I love Ragdolls!

Is she acting healthy/normal.  We have a male cat that was limping and I figured he just sprained something jumping but over night he became so sick.  It turned out that he had a major urinary track infection and the poor boy eventually couldn't pee. It happens a lot according to the vet in male cats especially so keep an eye on yours and if she starts acting not herself then get her checked.