Menu

Auditory processing and writing (composition)

No suggestions, really, but I hope someone responds.  Thought I would give you a bump and say best of luck!

What type of auditory processing issues?  My children seem to have mild auditory processing issues but I cannot find anyone with real experience in our area to do a proper assessment.  We did LiPS with my son for some remediation before starting Barton Reading and Spelling, but I don't know if that would help your particular circumstance at all....

:bigear:  Honestly, we just keep switching programs hoping for a miracle.  Reading is coming along fine, but writing....still a struggle.  IEW didn't work for us at all, but maybe she just wasn't ready when we tried?  We are using (for 7th) Jr. Analytical Grammar (it was a hit in the beginning, but she REALLY struggled toward the end) and Beyond the Book Report (OK so far, but we just started).  We also use some Bravewriter materials....just to help take some of the stress off language arts....we use it as breaks.  My best recommendation is probably Bravewriter...because its gentle.

For writing we had good success with Essentials in Writing.  I skipped most of the grammar section except for some review in areas though.

We are currently using AG for grammar, but have done several others over the years (GWG, EG plus, CLE, etc.).  My son is currently taking an online writing class at home2teach with good success so far.

HTH

T

What type of auditory processing issues? 

My son is still too young to be assessed, but he has a lot of trouble forming sentences verbally--huge pauses, words in the wrong order, just using wrong words altogether.  His auditory memory is a big problem too.  If he says something and I ask him what he said, he often can't remember.  (He also can't remember what he hears, but I'm very concerned about his ability to hold a sentence in his head long enough to put it down on paper.)  I had originally planned to use WWE with him, but that will be completely impossible.  He's not able to listen to a passage and know what's being talked about.

We're working on his skills, and we don't have to start writing for a while yet.  I'm just wondering what *does* work for kids like him--poor sequencing, poor auditory memory, strong visual-spatial learner.  Thanks for the bump and responses so far!  It will be very helpful to have a list of what has worked for others, as I suspect this will be a frustrating skill to teach/learn.

I see your son is in public school. Has he had a speech and language eval? I would advise trying to get that and some help with a speech language therapist either through the school or privately if you have insurance. In addition, Earobics or Hearbuilder are good at home programs to use on the computer.

Recipe for Reading is an inexpensive O-G manual that will help you build your child's phonological awareness and reading skills. Great resource.

When he is older I can't recommend enough the reading and spelling programs from Sound Foundations. http://www.prometheantrust.org/usshop.htm

They really take into account children struggling with  low working memory. I See SAm books are great.

http://www.achievepublications.com/auditorysequentialmemory.html   

Please read Ms.. Cusamano's page on Auditory memory. The workbook I have had for years and continually use with my child.

I have used other stuff but  those are my favorites.

I see your son is in public school. Has he had a speech and language eval? I would advise trying to get that and some help with a speech language therapist either through the school or privately if you have insurance. In addition, Earobics or Hearbuilder are good at home programs to use on the computer.

Recipe for Reading is an inexpensive O-G manual that will help you build your child's phonological awareness and reading skills. Great resource.

When he is older I can't recommend enough the reading and spelling programs from Sound Foundations. http://www.prometheantrust.org/usshop.htm

They really take into account children struggling with  low working memory. I See SAm books are great.

http://www.achievepublications.com/auditorysequentialmemory.html   

Please read Ms.. Cusamano's page on Auditory memory. The workbook I have had for years and continually use with my child.

I have used other stuff but  those are my favorites.

Thank you for your recommendations!  I'm looking forward to investigating them!

My son does receive group speech therapy at school for some mild articulation issues, volume (i.e., shyness), and use of pronouns.  At this point, I am very confident that his speech issues (more extensive than what the school has identified) are just a symptom of auditory processing problems.  I spoke with the speech therapist and expressed concern about his auditory processing, mentioning specific problems.  I requested a formal auditory evaluation.  She was very dismissive.  The teacher is more concerned and does see some issues.  But my son's academic skills are above average, and he functions quite well in the classroom (picking up well on nonverbal cues).  I'm not holding out much hope that the school will give us any more help than they already are.  I plan to talk with the teacher again soon and see what she says since she seems to be the one most likely to advocate for him.

ETA:  We have started working through the Auditory Sequential Memory Workbook by Cusimano that I bought off Amazon, but I didn't realize she had a website.  Listening to her videos about auditory problems now.  HearBuilder looks like it would be really helpful too!  Still need to check out a couple of the other resources you mentioned.