Menu

X-POST. Need book suggestions dd12

I thought I had this in the bag but turns out I need some help.  I really need some book suggestions for dd12 who loves to read.  She especially likes Classics, has read Moby Dick 3 times, and is a big fan of Dickens.  sigh.  She also enjoyed Jane Eyre and Villette and anything by Alexander Dumas.

I'm trying to get her a selection of non-classic books for Christmas.  Lighter reading, I guess, that will expand what she currently reads.

Last year some of the books I got her were:

The Icarus Project  said it was ok

Princess Academy  liked this one

Ida B  enjoyed this one

The Graveyard Book   read this before last year but really liked it

The 100 Cupboards  she said the writing was not very good and therefore it was boring

Palace Beautiful  enjoyed this one

Penny from Heaven  liked it

Rules liked it

Moon over Manifest  bleh apparently

Running Out of Time liked this one

There were a few others that I got her but she hasn't read them because they didn't interest her.

So... help me!

So far, I've realized, the only book on my list is The Apothecary and maybe the Obsidian Mirror but the latter doesn't get the best reviews and is only available in hardcover for now.

Please help!!

I posted in your other thread but will repost here.

This came out last month and has received excellent reviews; it is only available in hardback.

The Princess Bride: An Illustrated Edition of S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure

If paperback is a requirement, here is a link to the standard paperback.

Another possibility might be Un Lun Dun by China Mieville.  Or books by Tamora Pierce.

Regards,

Kareni

There are other books by the author of Princess Academy. Also, the Enchanted Forest books are delightful: Dealing with Dragons, Searching for Dragons, Talking to Dragons. I think there might be one more I am forgetting. What about books by Susan Cooper or Lloyd Alexander? Or the Earthsea books (my mind is blanking on the author at the moment). Madeline L'Engle books? Redwall series? Has she read Tolkien?