Menu

Memoir 44 question about number of players

matrips

I've tried reading the instructions online and the amazon blurbs, but can't figure out how many people can play. We have a family of 5. We play ticket to ride and can do that individually. Is memoir only a team game? How many individuals can play! One of the expansion packs said up to 8 people can play, 4 to a side. What does that really mean? 2 teams of 4? 4 teams of 2? Or 8 individuals?

Ds wants it for Xmas and just trying to figure out what to order.

Thanks!

It's really a two player game, an attacker and a defender.  The expansion you're talking about is still just 2 teams, attacking and defending.  Most of the Memoir 44 stuff is geared toward just two people and it's best played that way--although I could see that being played in a 2 person team, but not more than that--too many decisions about strategy and where to attack and such.  That said, it is still a really good game, lets you think about history, war strategy, etc.  My dh and ds really enjoy it. 

Hubby says there is also a variant for 6, but you would need 2 copies and an expansion.  He does not recommend the expansion until you've learned the game.

I asked for other suggestions - he said that war games are really 2-player games.  He says Memoir is accessible for kids 8 an up, so probably good to buy if thats what he wants.  Small world (which i mentioned elsewhere) is possibly something to look at for family play - I was just reading people comparing Small World to a fantasy-themed risk.