Menu

chemistry with little math

hi,

I have come once more to hear wisdom from this group!  I feel so good knowing that I can come here and get reliable advice.

I am looking for a chemistry program for my 14 year old daughter.  She really likes chemistry and wants to do this first (before biology)  I know that she may need to take a "more intensive" chemistry down the road though. 

Anyways, I need something that doesn't have a lot of math, and is straight forward with not too many words.  I know this sound difficult.  She has huge anxiety issues that we have been dealing with.

I have only two options right now:  Friendly Chemistry, and Conceptual Chemistry.  Does anyone have any other suggestions?  I would appreciate anything you might think of!!!!

Thanks so much

pam

http://www.amazon.com/Science-4-Kids-Chemistry-Level-Student-Textbook/dp/097650975X/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1386967452&sr=1-9&keywords=real+science+for+kids+chemistry

I don't remember any math at all.  They balanced equations but only had the simplest of Stoichiometry (two or three pages). You can see the ToC at that link.

I liked it, the explanations (and pictures) were clear and we went back to  it a few times when the Apologia book wasn't.

Using the one a step down from Real Science for Kids Chemistry II with both a 9 year old and a 13 year old (she is very weak in math) and it is working well.  Pairing it with Mr. Q Chemistry just to stretch things a bit.  If the next level is like the beginning level, Real Science 4 Kids Chemistry II might be a good option for you.

Thanks for the replies,  my daughter is taking pre-algebra with math u see and has really just covered integers.  She fell behind due to medical reasons in the younger years, so I know she may need longer to graduate.  BUT she is so excited about chemistry that i wanted to capture that enthusiasm now.

Thanks again!!!!

pam 

Mr. Q's Advanced Chemistry is going on sale next month and it's do-able by a student who is at the pre-algebra level. It is a really engaging program.

:iagree:   I was going to come back and suggest Mr. Q.  If you go to his website, you can take a look at the curriculum to make sure your dd likes it.  It's very goofy but the science is pretty solid.  Here's a link to the Advanced Chem:

http://www.eequalsmcq.com/CSAdvChemChapterDwnld.htm

You can try out the first chapter for free.

Just to clarify - Mr. Q calls it Advanced Chem but it's actually a Reg Chem course.

Just to clarify - Mr. Q calls it Advanced Chem but it's actually a Reg Chem course.

It's advanced compared to his elementary level chemistry book. For a high school student, I would consider it a general ed course. A student who was planning to take college chemistry would need something between the Mr. Q Advanced Chem course and the college course IMHO.

It's advanced compared to his elementary level chemistry book. For a high school student, I would consider it a general ed course. A student who was planning to take college chemistry would need something between the Mr. Q Advanced Chem course and the college course IMHO.

Agreed, Crimson Wife.  I just wanted to make sure that someone didn't see the title of the course on his website and dismiss it out of hand because they thought that it would be too difficult or the equivalent of AP Chem. :)