Menu

Question for the Hive

The university I will be attending in the fall has an extension campus, would you

A. Take classes that you love, with instructors that have great feedback from other students at the university 38 miles away?

or

B. Take classes at the extension campus which aren't as interesting, with instuctors with mixed feedback but only 19 miles away?

University A - I would have to leave about 2:30 for a 4pm class, (45 minutes to drive, and then parking and getting to class) but only 45 min to get home - no traffic

Extension camput B - leave at 3:15, parking is a breeze because it is much smaller, 30 minutes home

ps - I don't need any specific required classes, just upper-division and the MA program next year will be only meeting at the University A location.

thanks so much

Option A, without a doubt! I have multiple degrees, and was in college many, many years, and I took many, many, many courses! The ones I didn't like too much I got very little out of, and retained about as much. The ones with wonderful profs and material I remember like it was yesterday, I did wonderfully, the material is engraved in my mind, and I'll probably never forget it. They are what made me adore school, and continue, and continue (and continue).

I also have to say, I have taught university. I had a very high rating with my students, mostly because I ADORED teaching, and it showed. Most profs (not all, but a lot) that care show it, and their students respond. They will have a better thought out class, pay more attention to their students and give them more personal time, and they will get much better reviews. All of this (except the reviews, really) are very important in a class.

I honestly feel it is not worth your time, and large, I am sure, amount of money, if you are not going to get a good amount out of it. What is a little more gas?

Let me put it this way. What would you rather your kids took? Classes they would love and get a lot out of? Or just OK classes that would probably do very little for them?

Option A, without a doubt! I have multiple degrees, and was in college many, many years, and I took many, many, many courses! The ones I didn't like too much I got very little out of, and retained about as much. The ones with wonderful profs and material I remember like it was yesterday, I did wonderfully, the material is engraved in my mind, and I'll probably never forget it. They are what made me adore school, and continue, and continue (and continue).

I also have to say, I have taught university. I had a very high rating with my students, mostly because I ADORED teaching, and it showed. Most profs (not all, but a lot) that care show it, and their students respond. They will have a better thought out class, pay more attention to their students and give them more personal time, and they will get much better reviews. All of this (except the reviews, really) are very important in a class.

I honestly feel it is not worth your time, and large, I am sure, amount of money, if you are not going to get a good amount out of it. What is a little more gas?

Let me put it this way. What would you rather your kids took? Classes they would love and get a lot out of? Or just OK classes that would probably do very little for them?

I agree with A as well.

Otherwise, what's the point?