Menu

Chinese History

Does anyone have a favorite book that gives a good overview of the history of China?  Maps would be a plus.  I'd love one that was fairly in depth as well as well written.  Of course I'd also like to have dancing reindeer in my front yard:)  It's not for my kids but for me.

I, too, love the books by Jonathan Spence.

Way back in my college days the "bible" of Chinese history was written by John Fairbank.  The textbook of his that I still have on my bookshelf for reference, China: Tradition and Transformation, is probably out of print now, but I see on Amazon he published one final, revised, history overview just before his death.  China: A New History   

We have used the Cambridge illustrated History of China , Keay's China: A History,  and selections from They Called Us White Chinese. The last book is an enormous volume and we use it for some primary source material. It was written by a family member who was an incredibly remarkable person, so it is important to us that our kids hear this piece of their family history.

The Chinese Century by Spence is a nice photographic overview of the 20th century with a good summary text to go with it.  The Search for Modern China is a much, much more in depth tome by him that covers the 1600's to the present.

I'm afraid I don't really know a lot of the ancient and medieval histories out there, but I'm sure there's something.