Menu

Stevia or agave for baked goods?

Seasider

Personally, I don't like the taste of Stevia at all, and agave isn't healthier than sugar.  I vote for sugar :) - use less if you're trying to limit it.  (sorry to be unhelpful!)

What are you baking?  I find I can reduce sugar by about a third in cookies and by about half for cheesecake.

http://healthyindulgences.net/2009/05/healthy-chocolate-cake-with-a-secret/

This is the recipe I am going to try. A friend assures me it's delicious!

I mostly want a gluten and nut free option. I appreciate low sugar but if stevia tastes yucky and agave is just HFCS, I'll just use the real stuff.

Thanks! You've made it easier. Now I don't have to buy anything else!

Her stuff is excellent. But if you notice she also uses erythritol. I like erythritol. Stevia mixed with that is a good combination. I don't recall seeing any of her recipes using straight stevia.

So the erythritrol cancels out the bad stevia taste? Good to know! If I don't get around to making it today, next time I go out for groceries I will look for these things. If I make it tonight, it's gonna be the sugar.

So the erythritrol cancels out the bad stevia taste? Good to know! If I don't get around to making it today, next time I go out for groceries I will look for these things. If I make it tonight, it's gonna be the sugar.

Erythritrol can cause a reaction.... don't ask me how I know. Some can't digest it.

Coconut sugar is a good option, but it is dark, so if you want light colored cookies, it won't work. I've been experimenting to lower sugar in baking, so far I've found you can take 1/3 of the sugar out, and add a little flour IF the dough is too moist. Make half or smaller test runs when experimenting!

Yes, that is true.  It can act like a laxative for some people.

Forgot about that!  I don't have issues with it, but I don't tend to eat too many of anything made with it.  I don't have much of a sweet tooth.

Truvia is stevia and eryth(??) and it was served in sweet tea. It tastes just like sugar. So I had several glasses....While we were visiting many relatives out of town. So I got bathroom tours at everyone's house after the tea....

I did a little with Agave and was unimpressed. Use local honey and you can get an anti-allergy benefit from the bees having processed local pollen. That's one of the few ingredients for which I'll pay a lot more.

Well... and I do cook with local honey... you cook out all of the good stuff. But you can use a lot less in cooking. Real maple syrup bakes well too, and you can lower the amount quite a bit and still have a sweet taste.

I didn't like stevia either, until dd told me that you can't use a lot. So a few drops for a cup of tea etc. If its bitter, then you used too much. I put 25 drops to an entire gallon of tea. It is less sweet, but we have had positive effects from lowering sugar intake.