Menu

What happens if the school doesn't get back to you about evaluations?

Loowit

I notified out local school district that I wanted my DS evaluated for learning difficulties, and what areas I am concerned about.  They were quick to contact me at first and let me know the process, although a lot didn't apply to us for forms to fill out since he is homeschooled.  The letter containing the process stated:  "Before the 25 school days are up, the team will meet with the parent(s) to discuss their decision.  At that meeting the parent(s) should be given a PWN,(prior written notice) confirming the team’s decision."  The 25 days will be up next Tuesday and I haven't heard anything back about meeting with them to discuss this.  so what happens if they don't get back to me within that time frame?  I dropped off all the paperwork that they requested within a couple days of them asking.  I am not sure what my rights are as far as if they don't meet this deadline.  Part of what frustrates me is that even after I get their decision they will have another 35 school days to complete any evaluations.  With all of the schools days off and holidays it could be well into February before we finish the process.  I am beginning to think I made a mistake even asking for their help.  I am in Washington state if that makes a difference.

It took forever here, but I think our laws give them more time. I operated as a bit of a smiling squeaky wheel. In your case, I think I would call and ask if they have all they need and when someone will be contacting you to schedule the initial meeting given it needs to occur by x date.

The 'squeaky wheel test', is a common part of evaluations?

It gives them an indication of whether you will wait until they get around things, or if you will insist that they meet their legal obligations?

So you need to remind them that the 25 days are up on Tuesday.

Yep, the process takes a long time.

From your point of view, nothing much will happen if they don't meet that deadline. When the get audited (sped not financial) they could get a black mark if it is discovered, but the odds that the auditors pick that specific file is slim.

Just keep bugging them.

Definitely call them on Monday and just politely inquire about the test and remind them the deadline is Tuesday. I did that for my daughter with regards to her being tested at school this Wednesday because the 60-day deadline fell over the Christmas break (Jan 3) and they tested her on Friday...not a coincidence I think ;)  So be politely persistent to get things done. 

I'd do what Geodob suggests.. and put it in writing.  Say to them,

"I previously requested an evaluation and your notification said you'd get back to me within 25 days.  Tuesday will be the 25th day and I'm concerned because the Child Find IDEA required evaluation timeframe of 60 days will be half over.  Please consider this letter my consent to evaluate my child and notify me which day to bring my child for his evaluation."

Be polite, but facutal!  Also, grab yourself a copy of "From Emotions to Advocacy" and read it.. It will let you know how to effectively deal with the school and inform you of your child's rights along the way.  If your school is being unresponsive at this time, it isn't likely to get better from here, so KNOWING the timeframes, rights, and procedures will help you a great deal. ;-)

The 'squeaky wheel test', is a common part of evaluations?

It gives them an indication of whether you will wait until they get around things, or if you will insist that they meet their legal obligations?

So you need to remind them that the 25 days are up on Tuesday.

Thanks for the replies.  I left a message today and will see when I hear back.  I am a bit discouraged.  I am not sure it is worth my time if they are going to be a pain to work with and I am not sure how helpful an evaluation is going to be if they won't offer services.  Doing some searching online it looks like they have to do the evaluation, but they do not have to offer services unless DS is at least a part time student.  I am feeling frustrated with the whole thing.  I wish our health insurance would cover a dyslexia evaluation.