Menu

Disturbing USAFA Article

AFwife Claire

This is a long article from the Colorado Spring Gazette detailing an OSI program where cadet informants are recruited at USAFA, and then they spy on fellow cadets.  The information they obtain has been used to gain convictions of serious crimes, such as sexual assault, but if there are problems with the investigation, the cadets are hung out to dry.  The article appears to be well-researched and not sensationalistic.

It is alarming, really, that this is how the Air Force has chosen to attack the drug/sex problems on the Academy, because it seems like it is not a healthy environment for morale at all.  It seems like something out of East Germany or something!?!  When your motto is "Integrity first, service before self, and integrity in all we do", this story definitely does not line up with those values, and it doesn't seem like this is the path to an Air Force full of officers with those qualities.  I am curious about how West Point and USNA have handled their similar scandals, because it doesn't seem like they are going down this road.  

I know this is most likely not applicable at all to civilian universities, but I was shocked when I read the article, and I thought it should be passed on.  My father and husband, as well as many of our friends, are all Academy grads, and my oldest is hoping to go there in 2 years.  The atmosphere really seems to have changed there, which is very disappointing.  I think the most disappointing thing is that the "higher-ups" provide no support for those down the line who are taking the fall.  "Everyone look out for themselves and throw everyone else under the bus" does not make for a strong, ethical military!

This is a long article from the Colorado Spring Gazette detailing an OSI program where cadet informants are recruited at USAFA, and then they spy on fellow cadets.  The information they obtain has been used to gain convictions of serious crimes, such as sexual assault, but if there are problems with the investigation, the cadets are hung out to dry.  The article appears to be well-researched and not sensationalistic.

It is alarming, really, that this is how the Air Force has chosen to attack the drug/sex problems on the Academy, because it seems like it is not a healthy environment for morale at all.  It seems like something out of East Germany or something!?!  When your motto is "Integrity first, service before self, and integrity in all we do", this story definitely does not line up with those values, and it doesn't seem like this is the path to an Air Force full of officers with those qualities.  I am curious about how West Point and USNA have handled their similar scandals, because it doesn't seem like they are going down this road.  

I know this is most likely not applicable at all to civilian universities, but I was shocked when I read the article, and I thought it should be passed on.  My father and husband, as well as many of our friends, are all Academy grads, and my oldest is hoping to go there in 2 years.  The atmosphere really seems to have changed there, which is very disappointing.  I think the most disappointing thing is that the "higher-ups" provide no support for those down the line who are taking the fall.  "Everyone look out for themselves and throw everyone else under the bus" does not make for a strong, ethical military!

How was drug use, drug dealing and sexual assault handled while they were there?

I really find myself going back and forth on this. Reading the article I wondered - why aren't they doing drug UA's more often? If they are, and cadets are coming up hot, why aren't they out? Where's the security at USAFA - how was that young man able to have pictures of himself taken inside the barracks after he had already been expelled? (Maybe they were taken while he was outprocessing and still had access to the barracks?) Wouldn't he have been able to access all of his text messages through his phone carrier even though he had deleted them from his phone? I know that on the one hand these are really college kids, yet on the other hand in a few years they're going to be leading military personnel. Who wants their freshly enlisted 18 year old to be under the command of a drug using, drug dealing, serial sexual assaulter?