Menu

Vocational Ideas for a 20 Yr Old Girl with no GED/HS Diploma?

No idea where to post this.  My niece probably grew up with the world's worst parents.  She moved out of her home to live with a bf at 14 (his Mom took her in)… and has been in and out of jail the past few weeks.  (In for two weeks, released for good behavior, back in again.)   My parents have always tried to help her, but unfortunately it didn't make up for her parents.  She does not have her HS diploma or GED.  We're trying to encourage her to work on that.  Am also looking at ideas for vocational training that she might be able to do…. both with and without a GED.

I've thought of cosmetology school/esthetician/manicurist.  Having been a massage therapist, I don't think that's a good fit for her…plus the work isn't steady enough.

Any other ideas?

TIA. :)

Ouch .. no GED/HS doesn't leave her much of an option.  She needs to have a diploma/equivalency.  Try Job Corp...http://www.recruiting.jobcorps.gov/en/home.aspx

They train ages 16-24.  HTH

Check out your local job corp before recommending it. Job Corp can vary by area.   Sometimes it is good and sometimes it is not what you would want your niece to be around.

Does she have anything she's particularly good at? People skills, enjoys numbers, likes logical processes, etc. That might help narrow it down. I sympathize. It never ceases to amaze me the damage bad parenting can do. She's lucky to have you.

Honestly, I've never lived in the same state as her, and have only spent limited time with her.  She's pretty, and like many girls her age, likes fashion/hair/make-up, which is why I thought about cosmetology school.  

I know that when she was in high school it was a special school for troubled kids--and I honestly can't say how well she reads, or what skills she has.  I know she's worked as a waitress and cleaning homes from time to time.

Honestly, if she's done waitressing or cleaned homes, I would start there. My concern with cleaning homes if she can get bonded by a company after having served jail time. I really don't know, but that might be a hindrance. Retail might be another option, depending upon her location there could be many opportunities there. It's not vocational training, but it could be a start while she acclimates back to life. Some of those jobs can pay well and have flexible hours. 

Her own motivation will be key if she wants to earn a GED or return to school. It's hard to do when you're working, trying to survive. Who she hangs around with might be her biggest hindrance or help. IMO, starting with a job she was familiar with, like restaurant work, might be best if she wants to get her GED. 

I assume she'll be on probation, her PO would probably like to see her working toward a GED.

She's very fortunate to have you, even if you're miles away.  :grouphug:

Thanks everybody.

I don't know if anybody would hire her for retail as I think she was picked up for shoplifting.  Who knows, perhaps that makes her a good candidate for security? ;)  I think that would also be an issue in terms of being bonded.

Yes, the motivation factor will be difficult.  She keeps coming back to the boyfriend and his mother she's lived with since she was 14.  

She's only twenty. I would like to hope that there could be a better life for her, but she needs to believe that too.  Her father telling her she's destined to be a hooker for most of her life hasn't been much help.  :(

Check out your local job corp before recommending it. Job Corp can vary by area.   Sometimes it is good and sometimes it is not what you would want your niece to be around.

Ours is good.  Usually, it is teens that rebelled and had troubled youth not drug dealers or hardened criminals.  :) 

If you call the local unemployment office, they might have some leads. Often there are free computer classes and other programs that allow a student to earn a certificate.

Sometimes the unemployment office does some basic testing, and then funnels people into programs for the disabled, that offer all kinds of support. Or provides job training for those without disabilities.

Someone upthread mentioned her discussing this with her PO. That is an excellent idea. Possibly her PO will have some ideas and information on what help is available to her locally.

The motivation and desire to change must be hers. The fact that she has been in jail, so recently, is  *not* a  plus for her and she needs to be very honest about that, with potential employers.

If Goodwill or the Salvation Army have facilities where she lives, possibly they have a program she can get into.  I'm looking at a textbook on Amazon now and one of the Sellers is Goodwill Industries Houston.

Much GL to her!