Menu

Social services in UK-- is the Telegraph reliable?

Laurie4b

I can't keep track of which UK newspapers are legit and which are tabloids. This story is horrific as reported: an Italian citizen had a breakdown in the UK. She was hospitalized and forcibly sedated and had a C-section. The child was placed in UK foster care and is now being put up for adoption.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/10486452/Woman-has-child-taken-from-her-womb-by-social-services.html

Is this a legitimate news outlet? What a crazy story!

The Telegraph is ..... well, it's not a tabloid, but it tends to react strongly to suspicions of over-active government intervention.  So....  I think what I take from that story is that the bare facts (woman detained under the mental health act; child born by caesarian; child taken into care) are probably true, but I wouldn't be entirely trusting of the spin put onto it.  As with a lot of these cases, the medical/social services are severely limited in the statements they can make due to privacy issues.

I'm glad to see democracy at work though: questions being asked in the courts, the press and parliament.

ETA: I can only find reports in the Telegraph and the Daily Mail (which is like the Telegraph but tabloid).  I'd be looking for reports from other outlets before making a judgement.

L