Menu

Need Help Planning First Grade for Next Year

Harriet

Hello everyone!

I've browsed this board for about a year, but just finally registered. I am fairly new to homeschooling. My oldest is 5. I use Confessions of a Homeschooler's "Letter of the Week" and "Pre-K 4" curriculum from ages 3-5. This year he would be in Kindergarten, but I don't really follow grade levels per se. For instance, he's already doing level B Right Start math, which I believe is more equivalent to first grade. We are also using Alphaphonics and Explode the Code this year. And we read, of course.

So I am wondering what all subjects we need to cover for next year, which would technically be first grade? Our state has no requirements, so I'm not worried about that. And I don't like to overload the younger kids. I'm planning on continuing with Right Start level C, since it has worked so well for us. And I've looked into Real Science Oddysey, and think that looks fun.

Is some sort of Social Studies needed at this level? If so, what recommendations do you have?

Where I really get stuck is Language Arts. What ALL does this encompass at this level? We are loving Alphaphonics. He is learning to read very well with that, and my sister (who is a first grade teacher) says that his handwriting is very good for his age. But that will be done at the end of this year.  Explode the Code is fun, so I'd like to continue with that. But is that enough for LA for next year? There's not a lot of writing involved, it's mostly phonics. What all do I need to cover for LA next year? Separate spelling, handwriting, etc?

I'm sure I could browse around for recommendations (I've already tried on Google), but I'm looking for something specific to where we're at now. I was hoping there might be someone on here who used similar curriculum and can guide us down the right path. We are kind of laid-back homeschoolers. I could never be an unschooler, but I don't want to get super intense and do hours of schooling every day. I like to cover the basics, and then do a lot of child-led learning.

Thanks in advance for any help!

What is "enough" for first grade varies with each family. :) For us, we focus on the skill subjects: language arts and math, and lightly cover the content subjects (science, history, foreign language).

Language arts for my first grader includes:

Phonics -- we use All About Reading

Handwriting -- we use HWOT

Grammar -- we use first language lessons - it's is done orally and very light introduction to grammar. Takes about 5 minutes 3X/week.

Writing-- writing with ease 1. Very easy to use, and not overwhelming at all.

Spelling-- we plan to start All About Spelling in the spring as I wanted his phonics instruction to be the focus for now.

Have you read the Well-Trained Mind? It can be a great place to start, because it sketches out so nicely what a really rigorous year might look like, and it might help you to form up your own ideas of what you need for first grade and what you're comfortable leaving up to interest-lead investigations.

Here's what DD worked on for first grade:

Math

- Spine

- Logic puzzles

- Math facts

Science: reading books, watching videos, drawing pictures, playing with science kits

History: listened to older DS modern history plus map work, learned oceans, continents, some countries

English

- Phonics: no spelling as she wasn't reading well yet

- Reading: reading aloud to me every day, from a short phonics reader to full stories in early books like Frog and Toad are Friends

- Writing: narration and copy work, building up to short dictation at end of year. No handwriting exercises, but watching her letter formation carefully and expecting her to write correctly.

- Grammar: basic parts of speech and punctuation, using writing exercises for instruction

Art: providing crafty books, basic drawing instruction, copying artists

ETA: we didn't do social studies because that usually involves learning about community helpers and basic map reading.

My daughter's starting 1st grade soon and I've spent months trying to put a plan together. Language Arts has been the hardest part for me, I think. We're continuing The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading and starting Pentime, Language Lessons Through Literature (probably), and Jot It Down (whenever we can). We'll start spelling when we're finished with phonics. 

I just want to add that it was helpful for me to come up with LA goals for the year and then figure out what would help us reach those goals. That knocked out a bunch of options for me. 

In first grade, dd did

Saxon 2

Spelling Workout

Story of the World 1

Nature study/nature notebooking

Bible devotions

We read real books, mostly based on history, but also favorites. She was an early reader, and jumped 3 grades in 3 months or so without a reading program. We copied narrations from the whiteboard and did a little handwriting from time to time.

I think you can just continue reading/phonics, providing plenty of books for your child to read and reading lots aloud, and use your other subjects to practice writing (once dc can form all the letters). I don't really like "overkill LA," mostly because I think over-analysing books can kill a love of reading. 

My DS starts his official 1st grade year in January. He is reading fluently so we wrapped up phonics and are on to a phonics based spelling. We will do continue math, latin, and reading. We are adding in history, science, composer/music study study, artist/picture study, literature, and poetry...from Ambleside Online Year 1. Plus we are starting English for the Thoughtful Child for a very gentle approach to grammar.

I have been struggling with the same thing. My 5 yo son is finishing up IEW:PAL (we stretched it all last year and this semester) and we are moving on to AAR 1 and AAS 1 after Christmas. This is what we plan on using, it is much rigorous coursework than what we have done this year

Reading - AAR 2 (when he completes 1, probably mid year)
Spelling - AAS 2
Grammar - FLL 1
Writing - WWE 1
History - SOTW 1
Piano - my hubs

Math - MUS Beta

Subjects I'm not sure of
Science - I've looked at Answers in Genesis: Animals, but may just walk through a science basics workbook I got for this year and haven't used.

Spanish - we did Salsa videos online this year but I feel like other subjects are much more important at this age

Edited to tell what I plan on using next year for first. I got aar1 and it is just review of what PAL has taught, so I returned it.

Reading - Discovery portion of IEW's PAL then McGuffey readers

Spelling - AAS 1 (or 2 if we finish 1 this semester)

Writing/Language - WWE 1 or LLtL

History - SOTW 1

Science - Mr. Q Life Science

Piano - my hubs

Math - MUS Beta

Not sure about Spanish - we did Salsa videos online this year but I feel like other subjects are much more important at this age

I would add in a few of what I consider the basics: history via Story of the World - the CD is fab. We read all of the books outloud first and my kids have listened to them over and over on CD. My 4th is not an Activity Guide kinda of person, but if you have one, the AG is great too.

Memory Work- starting with Language Aquistion Thru Poetry Memorization is easy- there is a CD to go with and the book teaches you a CM method of memory work.

Speaking of memory work- add more in. Classical Conversations cycles are good and make it simple with CD's. There computer discs also had great map work as well. Living Memory with Dr. Andrew Campell (avail thru Lulu) if you are up for pulling together your own memory work.  Also, some kind of timeline cards- CC has some, VP, Homeschooling in the Woods (print your own). This is a great age to really start memorizing a time -line.

We did AlpahPhonics and ETC too- all 5 kids- winning combo imho! We also went through WWE/FLL with my youngest. Easy, simple and very effective for when they are done with phonics.

I like the Kumon workbooks and Usborne workbooks- mazes, dot to dots, cut-outs. Teaches basic skill sets in a fun and non-intimidating way.

Our first grade (this year) is:

Singapore Math- we switched after RS B to Singapore, which is a little easier to accelerate and pick through.  We are putting a lot of emphasis on fact memorization, as well as conceptual understanding, especially place value. 

Language Arts- Homemade copywork- we started at short sentences from the read-aloud we are doing, and have moved on to 1-2 longer sentences each day. 

Grammar- memorizing the parts of speech, picking out subject/predicate in copywork, diagramming (because my son happens to like grammar.  I don't think this is a necessity in first grade)

Spelling- none yet

Reading- McGuffey reader 2, plus an easy chapter book

Literature- we read classic children's books, but we read them for pleasure, not to analyze.  He also sits in on little sister's Five In A Row, which does talk about elements of a story and some basic vocabulary for literature (setting, plot, conflict, etc.)

I sort of looked at where I wanted to be in a year or two, and then worked backwards. 

Oops, almost forgot!  We also do SOTW with some additional picture books and chapter books from the activity guide.  I use the audio CDs to save my voice for reading other stuff! 

We do Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding for science. 

We do loads of French, because we are a bilingual family. 

I try to do art when I can pull myself together and not freak out at the first paint splatter.  :-)