Menu

What's your favorite recipe for latkes?

Amira

mm, its been a while.  grate the potatoes, squeeze out the water, grate the onions (but leave the water), mix in egg and . . salt and pepper?  and flour to make it thick-ish.  fry in hot oil.  

I tried a gluten free sweet potato version once and was horrified - never again.  I havent found the right flour sub for them, and fried foods dont agree with me so well any more

I tried a gluten free sweet potato version once and was horrified - never again.  I havent found the right flour sub for them, and fried foods dont agree with me so well any more

I'm thinking the sweet potatoes was the problem. I can't stand sweet potato fries. I don't think you even need flour in them. ;)

Here's our family recipe:

Potato Latkes

6 medium potatoes

1 onion, grated

2 eggs

1 teaspoon salt

¼ – ½ cup flour

Pare and grate potatoes and squeeze out liquid.  Add remaining ingredients, mixing thoroughly.  Fry pancakes, dropped from a spoon into hot shortening, until browned on the underside.  Turn once and brown other side.  Moderate heat should be used.  When done, lift out and drain off excess fat on paper towels. Lots of applesauce and some sour cream is a must!!!!

I dont like them without the flour - too much like hash browns.  the flour is what makes them solid like pancakes but still full of soft potatoes, crisp on the outside . . . and make sure you cook them enough!  my cousin used to serve them half raw, ewww

mm, its been a while.  grate the potatoes, squeeze out the water, grate the onions (but leave the water), mix in egg and . . salt and pepper?  and flour to make it thick-ish.  fry in hot oil.  

I do mine like this, but without the flour. I think the flour makes them taste too much like potato pancakes. I do add smoky paprika to the mix and serve them with sour cream. I make them a little thicker and cook them a little lower to get that soft-on-the-inside, crisp/golden-on-the-outside goodness.

I use my grandfather's recipe, no measurements really.

some grated potatoes (about 6 or so), squeeze out liquid. a grated onion. some oil (maybe about 1 or 2 Tbsp?). some salt. some sugar (about twice as much sugar as salt). some pepper if you like pepper (we do).

2 extra large eggs. no flour.

he insisted on hand grating the potatoes, and it was delicious that way. but I have no patience for that. I put half the potatoes in the food processor with the blade and the other half processed with the shredding blade. that seems to get the texture right.

kids eat them with applesauce or ketchup or plain.