Menu

If my son liked reading To Kill a Mockingbird he might like...

redsquirrel

So, my 13 year old son just finished To Kill a Mockingbird. He adored it.  It was his first courtroom drama and he was quite impressed. Well, Atticus is quite impressive.

So, he would like more 'legal' type books. He said "I really liked the arguing parts". (of course he did!)  He had never encountered anything like that before and he would like more. He loved the discussions about justice and doing the right thing and the need for compassion and empathy in life.

So, any suggestions for a halfway decent book that is set around a court case?  I know there is one big name writer of legal thrillers... can't remember his name... but I don't want my 13 year old reading that. Unless, you know of a particular book by whatshisnose that is very good. I am not ruling it out, just not looking for a potboiler. I am hoping for something a bit more literary, but I am open to persuasion.

If it helps, my son is a strong reader, enjoys Austin and Dickens (when I assign it, lol) and seems to be able to extract more meaning from the text than I expect.

Justice and injustice: Animal Farm?  1984?

Court cases: Dorothy Sayers is well written.  The ones that are more based around court cases (rather than background investigation) are Strong Poison and Clouds of Witness.  Both contain sex outside of marriage and murder, but there are no explicit scenes.

L