Menu

Does anyone use Atelier? The art program

Chris in CA

We are using level 6. I've previewed six of the 18 modules and we've completed two. I have been very impressed with it and my children are enjoying it more then when they took expensive art lessons. My children are ages 9 and 11.

One awesome tip I received was to read aloud while my kids work on the assignment. This has actually worked out great and I feel like art will get done this year because I can get two things accomplished at once.

It's not cheap but I'm hoping it will have good resale value.

We use it and my girls beg for it. I have been very impressed with it. I recommend buying the supply kit. We haven't fully benefited from the program like we should because I didn't buy the supply kit and sometimes we can't proceed because I don't have xyz on hand.

I just received level 1 last week. I haven't used it yet, but it looks great! I watched the first lesson to get a feel for it and I can't wait to try it out. We will probably have a chance to do a lesson on Friday. I was reluctant to spend so much money, but I am glad now that I did. There is a lot of variety in the lessons. If lesson 1 is an indication, the lessons are taught completely on the DVD. You could add to it for enrichment, but it definitely stands alone.

Suzanne

We have been doing level 4 over the summer - I have been teaching it to my kids and my nieces/nephews who are not homeschooled - they have all loved it! I did not end up showing them the DVD's, because after watching them I decided I could teach the concept myself more quickly, and since I had a large group (7) it was faster - the art projects themselves take a good hour for the most part. They are wonderful, and fun, and I highly recommend this program. I am so glad someone on this board convinced me they were worth trying out!

The lessons are really fun. We are using level 3, and the only thing my dd doesn't like about it is that she thinks the teacher is too basic. The lessons are laid out well, and the materials list won't make you fall over.
How open ended are the projects? I can't get an idea from the website.

How open ended are the projects? I can't get an idea from the website.

Well, there is room for you to add your own flavor. There are also objectives for each lesson. An example- lesson 2 of module 3A is about the color wheel. The project is to pain a scarecrow using each of the primary, secondary, and tertiary colors. So, if you didn't want to paint a scarecrow, you could pick a different subject, but you would still be watching the kids on the video make scarecrows.

I would say if you are looking for something completely open ended, this isn't it, but you can customize it fairly easily, I think.

Well, there is room for you to add your own flavor. There are also objectives for each lesson. An example- lesson 2 of module 3A is about the color wheel. The project is to pain a scarecrow using each of the primary, secondary, and tertiary colors. So, if you didn't want to paint a scarecrow, you could pick a different subject, but you would still be watching the kids on the video make scarecrows.

I would say if you are looking for something completely open ended, this isn't it, but you can customize it fairly easily, I think.

No, not completely open-ended, just not a predetermined, idealized final product. I'm looking for a next step after GeeArt. The kids love it (and I can't recommend it too highly... great program), but I'd like to get back to doing art projects away from the computer.

Thanks. :)

No, not completely open-ended, just not a predetermined, idealized final product. I'm looking for a next step after GeeArt. The kids love it (and I can't recommend it too highly... great program), but I'd like to get back to doing art projects away from the computer.

Thanks. :)

At the end of the video lesson, they show samples from the students. So there is a pre-determined final product. The samples show a mix of abilities, though. Some are very good, some are much less skilled.

The assignment in Level 6A lesson 2 is to do an underground scene. The finished pictures shown are all different scenes- under the sea, under a house, under a city, etc. Lesson 5, Enlarged Food Posters, show different foods used in each finish piece. From what I've seen in Level 6 the assignments are pretty open ended.