Menu

So this was my dorky "I must be a homeschooler" moment.

So my girlfriend calls up looking for an ingredient for a potluck. So later I'm at her house and she's making this rice dish. I asked about the potluck and she said it was just a dental clinic potluck. She said they were supposed to bring in anything either Mexican or Latin.

So I'm thinking "Latin? What kind of food is Latin food? That is the oddest thing I've ever heard off. Do Latin curriculums come with recipes like geography/history curriculums sometimes do? And why would the dental clinic put on a Latin potluck? There are only about 3 homeschool families in all of the dental clinic (us being one of them and my husband is out of town so we had nothing to do with the potluck). They don't teach Latin at the schools here. It's not like it's a common thing in any way. What would make someone, espeically the clinic come up with Latin as a potluck theme? And why would you mix Latin food (whatever that is) with Mexican? That is just weird!"

Fast forward about 6 hours and I see my friend's husband. We'er standing there talking and I asked how his potluck was, said the rice dish she made was really good. And then I asked "the" question. Why Latin food? What did you have?

He starts listing things off and that's when I do the mental head slap. Not Latin as in the language. Latin as in Latin American food.

Let's all say it together..... "DUHHHHHHHHH!"

And sadly we don't even do Latin yet! Not for at least a couple more years if ever! DUH!

But I can't be the only person who would think that right? Right? Right?

I remember, years ago when the kids were little, thinking seriously about crayon art---like----how a true artist could make a really fantastic picture with crayons. Maybe that wasn't so much a "homeschool moment" as it was a "mommy moment!"

I do know that learn of the curriculum choices of even classical Christian schools (and certainly regular schools) I find myself frequently evaluating what they use, i.e., "How can they use that grammar program?"

No, it just sounds like you're a regular homeschooler! Just wait until you really start Latin---then the associations you make with all things "Latin" will be common!

:D

LOL! I always have to remind myself that the "Latin music" section in stores is not that Latin.

They thought it was GREAT that the music store had such a great selection of Latin music. Until I explained it's what we would call Tejano or Mexican or Latin American. Ohhhhhhh. Huh. Well, that's not so exciting, then. ;)

FWIW, Renthead Mommy, I'd have had the same internal dialogue.

You said that they were to bring Mexican or Latin food. I assumed when people spoke of Latinos, they were talking about Mexican/Americans. I thought it was the most recent, politically correct term (like - blacks are generally called African Americans and Indians are now Native Americans). I take it I am wrong.:eek: Too bad people aren't just people without having to have an ethnicity title. Today my hubby told me that I was very sheltered and lived in a bubble, I guess he is right.