Menu

GAH!! The Chiese gymnasts are covered in...

The age thing....wouldn't their development all depend on if they started their cycles yet? I had a friend growing up who was a gymnast and she did not get her period until she was 18! That means she did not have books until after that. It could be due to the intense activity that these girls have, mixed with their ethnicity, they truly are old enough, but just don't look it.

My niece is from China and she is tiny but she is the same height as the one gymnast who is supposed to be 16. My niece is 10.

Some of the US gymnasts are pretty short. Shawn is only 4' 11" but they tower over some of the girls from China. One of the girls from China is only 4' 5" and two others are 4' 7". I also find it interesting that so many of the girls are 16.

Quite honestly I don't see why the younger girls aren't allowed to compete but it should be uniform all around.

...the original "bias-ness" and "chitting" talk was about, that I was referring to. The scoring a couple of nights ago. (It almost seemed a little more fair, last night).

I don't know where the panel of judges was from, but it did seem to be slanted towards the Chinese "gymnastickers", as my dd calls them, for whatever reason.

Well, you know what they say, Chitters never win.:lol: I still love that word.

:iagree: I was stick-thin, and flat as a pancake (and teased mercilessly for it) well into my teen years. I didn't start my cylce or grow booKs until I was 16yo, and I wasn't all that active. With the incredibly strict training regimen these girls are on -- beginning as young as 3yo -- I don't doubt that their cycles and physical maturity are delayed by our standards.

BTW, there was a male diver from Britain who is only 14yo. Evidently there are different age rules for different sports.

The age thing....wouldn't their development all depend on if they started their cycles yet? I had a friend growing up who was a gymnast and she did not get her period until she was 18! That means she did not have books until after that. It could be due to the intense activity that these girls have, mixed with their ethnicity, they truly are old enough, but just don't look it.

I heard something about the whole age thing and the Chinese gymnasts - I've only seen them perform once and saw some that looked quite young, but then I thought, well...most of the asian girls that I've known *have* looked quite young for their age....they tend to be smaller, younger looking..... when you combine that with gymnasts in general being 'small' (I know all aren't, but a lot seem to be -- small, thin, flexible, etc etc...) .....maybe they're just young looking, tiny 16 year old gymnasts?

Or maybe not. I dunno. :tongue_smilie:

I was thinking the same thing. And at one point, one of the commentators said that they only have to be 16 in the Olympic year, so they could theoretically have a late-year birthday. Theoretically...